Funny how something that could be so easily overlooked in the real world can whip around the internet and be witnessed by thousands faster than you can say “disused factory.” Alex Chinneck, the brains behind charming conceptual sculptures such as Self-Employed – a circular chimney blowing smoke back into itself, and Fighting Fire with Ice Cream – an enormous piece of chipboard that has been painstakingly coloured-in, has recently completed his latest and largest piece to date: Telling the Truth Through False Teeth. Chinneck has taken a disused warehouse in Hackney and removed all the windows, replacing them with identically smashed panes of glass, creating an almost kaleidoscopic, double-take inducing element of beauty to a building that was, previously, probably completely overlooked.
Chinneck’s other pieces are equally as charming. Working primarily with unmalleable mediums and bending them out of their usual state, Chinneck’s work almost always tells a tale of success in proving something wrong, followed by an almost bitter aftertaste of realisation of how insignificant these tiny victories are. Go and catch this extraordinary sight while you can, then sit tight and wait to see what genius sculpture he comes up with next.
- LuckyMe’s Lunice film for Apple Music is a theatrical trip through 90s hip hop videos
- Printed Pages AW17 is now available for pre-order – with exclusive prints, a party and more!
- Tatiana Ermolaeva's coherent “but not too slick” work for the Strelka Bar
- BBC’s David Bailey’s must watch talk for font fanatics from Nicer Tuesdays
- Shin Morae translates her memories into pastel illustrations
- Sarah Meyohas combines virtual reality, 10,000 roses and artificial intelligence in Cloud of Petals
- Peter Funch has photographed the same people on the same street for nine years
- DBLG and Animade’s cheeky stop-motion animation uses human skin and 3D stamps
- “It needed to be functional, a workhorse”: Arket’s in-house team on its brand identity
- Get to know the fluid work of graphic designer, Steffen Hotel
- Fukt magazine presents the erotic drawings of David Shrigley, Tracy Emin and many more
- Poster Girls, an exhibition of 150 female graphic designers opens at London Transport Museum