Though it saddens us to say it, there’s not really a whole lot of satire going on in the world of graphic design. The design community tend to take themselves reasonably seriously, which means we don’t often get to have a good old laugh due to a designer’s witty observations or humorously-minded project.
Amy West has just changed all that though with an acerbic piece of work based on the internet’s obsession with trends and style over substance. Grafik BS was a fake studio set up by Amy with the intention of catching out those with a superficial understanding of design and pointing the finger for a big old laugh. “A fake Behance page for the studio received hundreds of appreciations, positive comments on the style of the posters and even a job application for a position in the studio. The experiment proved that there is an online community practising design with the understanding that the entire process consists solely of applying style to anything,” said Amy.
Lucky for us we never posted any of Grafik BS’ work until now. Though come to think of it, I DO like the style of those posters…
- “I’ve landed on my planet now”: Sebaldo on refining his bonkers animated characters
- Syncope by Virgile Flores explores the duality between graphic design and music
- Louise Daneels makes playful, ceramic illustrations of everyday objects
- Maroesjka Lavigne’s debut monograph captures unforgettable landscapes and their inhabitants
- Painter Igor Moritz's vivid paintings express the colours of inner life
- Meet Take Care, a magazine tackling the UK’s housing crisis
- Turning her lens to those around her, Danna Singer reveals the story of a working class community
- Kyle Berger’s Photoshopped images exist in “a post-truth timeline”
- The climate crisis is daunting, but as a creative professional, there’s much you can do
- Elizabeth Hibbard’s unsettling photographs examine subjective experience with a visceral gaze
- “My creativity is sparked by music and architecture”: meet graphic designer Stephanie Specht
- Adventure Time’s finale nominated for Emmy, alongside BoJack and Big Mouth