This Thursday sees the launch of Suspended, a debut solo show by Chloe Early at The Outsiders London. The works on display are Chloe’s response to the “romantic splendour of Renaissance religious art” and an exploration of “the themes of weightlessness and gravity.” Her paintings feature realistically rendered human figures, lifted above the ground by unseen forces or large clusters of helium balloons. Chloe contends that we no longer have objects of worship within fine art, and so her images serve as celestial totems of real-world figures elevated above the mundane.
To celebrate this new show Chloe has collaborated with filmmaker Andrew Telling to produce a short piece of cinema that draws on the themes of her work and transforms them into ethereal moving images. Mingling paint-washes and transient bodies merge with shots of the artist at work in her studio, all tied together with Andrew’s signature stylistic traits and a stunning soundtrack from Lucinda Chua. Not a bad way to ease yourself into the afternoon.
Suspended runs from 4 April until 3 May 2014.
- In celebration of his new book 2017, Bráulio Amado picks out the work he loves from last year
- Environmental Activism: Why We Need To Shake Up the Visual
- Charlotte Dumortier on her identity for this year's ELCAF and what she's looking forward to most
- Google Fonts Korean becomes interactive by manipulating path data
- Photography series Metamorphosis reimagines iconic female characters as 21st-century women
- National Geographic’s creative director Emmet Smith on the publication’s redesign
- Craig Oldham dishes out brutally honest advice to new graphic designers
- Pentagram rebrands Battersea dogs and cats home to visualise "personality over sentiment"
- V&A announces shortlist for its Illustration Awards 2018
- ManvsMachine create its most ambitious campaign for Air Max Day yet
- Design to improve the general quality of life: exploring Paul Rand's IBM Graphic Standards Manual
- Ten examples of rare letterings, from 19th-century alphabets to preliminary drawings of Futura