Spawned from Vancouver’s punk scene and formerly a musician, label boss and graphic designer, artist Andy Dixon has worn a number of different anti-establishment hats before settling on the painter’s beret. From depictions of the four most expensive vases ever sold at auction to pieces inspired by Google Image-searching “Canadian art”, his work is preoccupied with luxury, how it is created, accrued and traded, and how he as an artist is complicit.
Andy’s latest series Leisure Studies continues his zingy-hued social commentary by focusing in on the pastimes of the well-heeled, from squash to showjumping. Glassy-eyed stares of yachtsman and the winces of puffed-out polo players combine with a Hockney-esque palette, showing the vapidity of exertion divorced from meaningful work. Ever the punk, Andy turns the lens on himself for a piece that depicts his studio, complete with canvases from the series, the obligatory leafy pot plants and an array of colourful shirts. An ambivalent shoulder shrug at the art world’s obsession with the art market, Andy’s work is a colourful window into a world us proles can only aspire to.
- Meet the speakers: Dougal Wilson, Ewen Spencer, GraphicDesign& and Gal-dem
- Claire Hentschker: the artist who recreated The Shining as an interactive 3D space
- Rosanna Webster and Phoebe Henry’s cinematic portrait of Cuba
- Alex Hunting’s crisp editorial designs are considered and multi-layered
- Raine Allen Miller’s latest ad shows kids experiencing the “side effects” of tech toys
- Colin Pantall's warm depiction of childhood and fatherhood taken over 12 years
- Parker Day's lurid colours and grotesque characters elevate identity and fantasy (NSFW)
- Paper reveals Break the Internet take two, with Nicki Minaj shot by Ellen von Unwerth
- Bea de Giacomo photographs the wonders of pregnancy
- Matthieu Lavanchy recreates food emojis "irl" for The Gourmand's tenth issue
- Introducing Broccoli, the publication “normalising cannabis use, especially for women”
- One Step Ahead: we meet Paula Scher, the trailblazing Pentagram Partner