The Hala Stulecia (Centennial Hall) in Wroclaw, Poland, was aptly named as a celebration of the 100 year anniversary of Napoleon’s defeat at the Battle of Leipzig (thanks Wikipedia). Now, as its own centennial rolls around in 2013, AntiVJ have been commissioned to install a permeant projection map in its extraordinary, very modern concrete dome.
The building, a feat of architectural engineering that at the time had not been seen since the Pantheon in Rome 18 centuries before, has stood the test of time and taste and it’s from this remarkable cultural longevity that directors Romain Tardy and Thomas Vaquié endeavoured to create O (Omicron), their vision “of a future with no precise time reference. A timeless future.”
Referring to science fiction works – Metropolis and the original Tron – allowed the duo to not dwell on the past while keeping in mind what its architect Max Berg must have thought at the time: “What could have been his vision of the monument in the distant future?”
AntiVJ have created a blindingly mesmerising display of minimalism on a colossal scale – tracing the architecture and then dismantling it with strategic strokes of light and acoustic synchronicity. The effect is deliberately futuristic, a stunning realisation that moves the building forward in time to its next 100 years. “The use of these references was not simply formal” they say, “the vision of futuristic totalitarian societies seemed to echo back real moments in the history of the building, warning us against the dangers of an idealised vision of the future.”
- National Geographic’s creative director Emmet Smith on the publication’s redesign
- Leon Mark’s refined and infinitely stylish photography
- Sophie Harris-Taylor shares anecdotes and insights from her photo series, Sisters
- Designer Anatole Couteau's technical approach lets him communicate simply and precisely
- A peek inside Hicham Amrani's trippy new comic Svend & Xanax
- Friday Mixtape: The Orielles mix for "good times with good people"
- Pentagram rebrands Battersea dogs and cats home to visualise "personality over sentiment"
- Craig Oldham dishes out brutally honest advice to new graphic designers
- ManvsMachine create its most ambitious campaign for Air Max Day yet
- V&A announces shortlist for its Illustration Awards 2018
- Ten examples of rare letterings, from 19th-century alphabets to preliminary drawings of Futura
- Bad week for art world as Jeff Koons piece is smashed and imitation Happy Meal thrown away