The prolific output of Ben Hutchings would make you think he is a part of a studio of graphic designers burrowing away on multiple projects. However, Ben is actually a third-year graphic design student at Central Saint Martins with a love for, “all things to do with books, publications, space and experimental typography”.
Over the past year Ben has created three projects that caught our eye, each with their own noteworthy design entities. The most recent A Blue, White, Green and Brown Jewel is a research-led publication, investigating, “the societal effects of space exploration and the cultural narrative it has developed,” he explains. Throughout the book, which serves as the designed counterpart to his dissertation, the designer explores artists and designers work who have “interacted with and reinterpreted the world of space exploration” as case studies. It additionally celebrates the design of counter-culture magazine, The Whole Earth Catalog and the human side of space exploration.
A further two projects Ben created last year during a semester at New York at the School of Visual Arts include an identity for the New York Mozart Festival. Based in the Culture Shed in midtown Manhattan, “celebrates the life and work of Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart through classic recitals and modern adaptations”. Ben’s identity concentrates upon the M, “hinting at the explorative and boundary-pushing work of Mozart,” serving not only as a logo, but a frame for imagery.
The second of Ben’s projects while at the School of Visual Arts, was created when a student in Louise Fili’s food packaging class. In his re-design of pasta company De Cecco, the designer built a concept around De Secco’s mammoth output of pasta in all shapes and sizes, attempting “to categorise this into a minimalistic yet sophisticated brand identity,” he tells It’s Nice That. I designed each product to be easily identifiable and differentiated by its bold titling and numeric typographic system.”
- LuckyMe’s Lunice film for Apple Music is a theatrical trip through 90s hip hop videos
- Printed Pages AW17 is now available for pre-order – with exclusive prints, a party and more!
- Tatiana Ermolaeva's coherent “but not too slick” work for the Strelka Bar
- BBC’s David Bailey’s must watch talk for font fanatics from Nicer Tuesdays
- Shin Morae translates her memories into pastel illustrations
- Sarah Meyohas combines virtual reality, 10,000 roses and artificial intelligence in Cloud of Petals
- Peter Funch has photographed the same people on the same street for nine years
- DBLG and Animade’s cheeky stop-motion animation uses human skin and 3D stamps
- “It needed to be functional, a workhorse”: Arket’s in-house team on its brand identity
- Get to know the fluid work of graphic designer, Steffen Hotel
- Fukt magazine presents the erotic drawings of David Shrigley, Tracy Emin and many more
- Poster Girls, an exhibition of 150 female graphic designers opens at London Transport Museum