Kids these days are spoilt. Not content with their televisions, laser tag, Subbuteo and Tomy products they’ve now got iPads, iPhones, miniature projectors, virtual reality headsets and each newborn child is surgically equipped with its own telescopic micro-scooter that folds out of the left leg for seamless travel to and from school. Those grinning little blighters have it all, except that last one – I made that up. Now they’ve got their grubby little hands on the very best animators around too with Cartoon Network recently commissioning some of the world’s best young talent to produce a spot for them.
The new ident is an animated exquisite-corps with six creatives given 10 seconds of music, a four-colour palette and all their favourite Cartoon Network characters with which to create a unique part of the piece. The final minute-long result features work from Alex Grigg, Eamonn O’Neill, Impactist, leCRCR, Rubber House and Awesome Inc. and is a belting journey through a crazy cartoon world that beats the hell out of anything I ever got sat in front of as a kid (curse you CITV!). Anyway, slap it on repeat and enjoy like the repressed child you really are!
- Cleon Peterson's works continue to investigate the evil side of humanity
- Winsor & Newton lifts the lid on the secret tricks of every artist's trade
- Calypso Mahieu’s photography makes the simplest things sexy (some NSFW)
- Foster Huntington’s stop-motion short of an 80s Californian skate off
- Dax Norman’s weird and wobbly animations with “cigarettes and eyeballs a plenty”
- Photographer Evija Laivina explores the ridiculous reality of the beauty industry
- Hate the iPhone X notch? There’s an app for that
- Lisa Simpson’s bookshelf: from the curator of Instagram’s Simpsons Library
- Biplab Hazra’s photo of elephants being attacked by mob wins Sanctuary prize
- Michael Bierut: 13 ways of looking at a typeface
- Uncle Ginger uses hypnotic shapes to animate the facts and feelings of bipolar disorder
- Michel Gondry’s John Lewis Christmas advert – Moz the Monster – is unveiled