Tel Aviv-based illustrator and animator Chen Winner has created this animated short as part of a graduation project from the Bezalel Academy for Arts and Design in Jerusalem. We’re given just a peek with the trailer, but the film, called Innerviews, sees sounds bites from Allen Ginsberg, Charles Bukowski, Leonard Cohen and David Lynch being animated.
Full of scratchy mark making and a grainy textures like an old television, Chen’s figures are naively and sweetly constructed out of loose forms contained within chunks of colours. The gifs the illustrator has extracted from the animation are equally as engaging and full of subtle movements, like the sweeping of smoke from a cigarette or the rhythmic movements of a swimmer. Alongside the animation and gifs, Chen has also designed a series of charming posters to accompany the project. Now freelancing since graduating, it’ll be interesting to see how Chen’s work progresses as there’s some great details and careful observations throughout this project.
- Graphic designer Anne Büttner is drawn towards all-things bold, clashing and experimental
- Graphic designer Marie Ducrocq's future-facing aesthetics are supported by thorough research
- The poet laureate of Twitter Brian Bilston creates four new poems from Adobe Stock images
- Photographer Daniel Stier on how he transforms “cheap mass-produced things” into art
- Fragility, despair and boredom are the pillars to Madeleine Pfull’s paintings of elderly women
- Go on a quest for cheesy chips with Sarah Hingley’s choose your own adventure zine
- How Pelle Cass creates his jarring “still time-lapse” images
- Mozilla gives Firefox a new look that goes beyond the logo
- Spotify wants you to listen to more podcasts, so it's redesigned its app
- Say a sustainable hello to the world’s first fully compostable trainer
- Illustrator Faye Moorhouse has made a trilogy of zines about her cat
- Applications are now open for The Graduates 2019!