Sometimes it’s easy to get carried away with modern life, perched happily on the apogee of human innovation in a tech-savvy world of comfort and convenience. What that kind of flabby mindset needs is a reality check, and Colors magazine has just the thing. The latest issue in its ongoing survival series is a guide to the big-one – apocalypse and how best to get through one.
The cheerful write-off on the website points out: “Civilization could end in a hundred ways. Yet the relentless onslaught of disaster prophecies leaves you overwhelmed, exhausted and unsure who to believe.” Fair point, but luckily for those of us afflicted with this so-called “apocalypse fatigue” help is here with a one-stop guide to riding out the worst things in the world.
The drawback though is that if you do need something to burn during a nuclear attack or a flash flood, this magazine is just far too beautiful to sacrifice. A lovely intricately-illustrated monochrome poster-cum-cover leads into the crisp, clear content, with the designers making excellent use of some stunning photography. A seriously good-looking treatment of this uber-dramatic subject matter.
- Ivana Bobic on exploring tactility in film, and how to make slow-mo jelly boobs
- The history of the hotel Venets: a 22-storey metaphor for Soviet utopia
- The Papier Machine collection of DIY electronic paper toys reinvents the activity book
- Brie Moreno's back with more felt tip-filled, curvy illustrations
- Meet Monkey Type, an international collective bananas about fonts
- Arielle Bobb-Willis’ colour-packed portfolio is the photographic equivalent of a SAD lamp
- Pee on this Ikea print ad, and if you’re pregnant, you get a crib half price
- Coca-Cola reveals custom typeface, TCCC Unity, inspired by its modernist heritage
- Muji to open “anti-gorgeous, anti-cheap” hotels in China and Japan
- The rebrand for Russia’s tourist board uses Suprematist geometry laid out as a map
- The Guardian unveils redesign across print and online
- A first look at Uber and NASA's new flying vehicle