Based in Brooklyn, illustrator Cute Brute creates delightfully risqué images with characters often in seductive poses or in offbeat situations. Mainly male-focused, the illustrator’s clean cut figures navigate a world that’s both familiar and surreal.
The eccentric nature of Cute Brute’s work is captured perfectly with two pert bottoms eating spaghetti à la Lady and the Tramp in one image and a bear-faced guy languishing by the fire with a glass of wine in another. Cute Brute’s sense of humour is wickedly on-point, as the illustrator’s style is cartoonish yet polished and so acutely observed, the images always remain on the right side of smutty.
Quirky, clever and a welcome break from the twee, Cute Brute works appear solely on Instagram so you can DM for prints, or simply enjoy the naughtiness as you scroll down your feed.
- Mikey Please takes us behind the scenes, and the backlash, of the Bake Off trailer
- From New York to Springfield, it's Best of the Web
- Taschen releases two volumes of National Geographic’s best photographs from the past 125 years
- Simon Landrein takes Dan Croll down the rabbit hole in his animated video for Tokyo
- Thomas Duffield on photographing his dad’s hidden heroin addiction
- Parker Day's lurid colours and grotesque characters elevate identity and fantasy (NSFW)
- Hate the iPhone X notch? There’s an app for that
- Lisa Simpson’s bookshelf: from the curator of Instagram’s Simpsons Library
- Biplab Hazra’s photo of elephants being attacked by mob wins Sanctuary prize
- Michael Bierut: 13 ways of looking at a typeface
- Uncle Ginger uses hypnotic shapes to animate the facts and feelings of bipolar disorder
- Michel Gondry’s John Lewis Christmas advert – Moz the Monster – is unveiled