You love a dance-off, we love a dance-off, heck everyone in the world loves a dance-off truth be told. But this is a dance-off with a difference and is a fitting launch for the Diesel + Edun Studio Africa project we got all excited about last week.
Pantsula vs Puppets was shot by award-winning director Sean Metelerkamp and features Panstula dance troupe Real Actions going to head-to-head with some madcap marionettes. Shot on location in Soweto, it’s a film that bristles and bursts with exuberance and reflects the vibrant creative scene which Diesel and Edun are so keen to shine a light on with their new collaboration.
Sean said: “I know I can create content that I can twist to satisfy my imagination and put out to the rest of the world” and he said that dressing the dancers in the new collection was key to defining the look and feel of the final piece. “These clothes actually determined the look of the film, because of the dancers, your eyes are focused on the dancers and they’re wearing that clothing, it’s very sharp on the eye. It was actually something new to me that I ended up really enjoying.”
- A real bobby-dazzler, it’s Best of the Web!
- Max Guther is back with more hyper real illustrations visualising social trends
- The Igor has landed: Igor Bastidas on our animated cover for Printed Pages AW17
- Balmer Hählen takes a traditional Swiss design approach to its projects
- Friday Mixtape: a very rare mixtape from the one and only John Carpenter
- Josh McKenna talks through his work on Pride for Google and Instagram
- Peter Funch has photographed the same people on the same street for nine years
- DBLG and Animade’s cheeky stop-motion animation uses human skin and 3D stamps
- “It needed to be functional, a workhorse”: Arket’s in-house team on its brand identity
- Get to know the fluid work of graphic designer, Steffen Hotel
- Fukt magazine presents the erotic drawings of David Shrigley, Tracy Emin and many more
- Poster Girls, an exhibition of 150 female graphic designers opens at London Transport Museum