Starter for ten – what do these images show? If you said the nests of sociable weaver birds built around telephone poles in the southern Kalahari region, then give yourself a pat on the back (you liar!). This intriguing series Assimilation is the work of South African photographer Dillon Marsh, a huge talent whose work explores the symbiotic relationship between society and the landscapes in which it sits.
This set shows the natural world co-opting human structures for its own ends, at other times he depicts illuminated crucifixes, telegraph poles “disguised” as trees and trees which have died but not yet fallen.
“In these series I seek to find things that are out of the ordinary, picking them out of the landscape where they might otherwise blend in,” he says. “I choose objects that can be found in multitude within their environment so that I can depict a family of objects in a series of photographs. By displaying each project as such, I feel I am able to show both the character of the individual members, and the characteristics that make these objects a family.”
- It’s Nice That and Camden Council host evening of talks by LGBTQ creatives
- Michael Marcelle’s photography is “like a broken funhouse mirror in a gay haunted house”
- Books From The Future's experimentally collaborative and investigative publishing
- Issue four of Beauty Papers screws the formula of beauty, giving it a “brave new face”
- Molly Matalon shoots a fashion editorial in the desert, and things get brotherly
- Laura Callaghan on illustrating a lifestyle where women make all decisions
- Peter Funch has photographed the same people on the same street for nine years
- North reveals full Science Museum rebrand, and reacts to online criticism
- GraphicDesign& outline three projects that successfully support and impact mental wellbeing
- Dove apologises and removes advert showing a black woman becoming a white woman
- Apple announces launch of gender neutral emojis
- “It needed to be functional, a workhorse”: Arket’s in-house team on its brand identity