Anyone who has seen Anna Prior play drums live knows how infectious her beaming smile is. Whether she is playing with Metronomy or more recently James Righton’s Shock Machine, she always seems to be having the best time, while simultaneously playing drums and singing impeccably.
A regular DJ, this week’s mixtape displays Anna’s music taste with a focus on the wealth of inspiring female artists that are dominating the music industry. Anna’s drumming skills will be gracing stages across the UK next week as Metronomy headline Glasgow ABC, Manchester Albert Hall and Brixton Academy. Over to the lady herself…
Why have you picked these songs, what do they remind you of or make you feel?
I’ve chosen to make my playlist a celebration of the female vocal, it’s never been a better time to be a woman and nothing makes me happier than a prodigious, emotion-fuelled female vocalist.
When or where should this mixtape be listened to?
3pm on a Wednesday.
What song or album did you listen to as teenager?
Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Soundgarden. All albums, all the time, really loud!
What’s the best song or album to wake up to in the morning?
Don’t Get Me Wrong by The Pretenders.
If a feature film of your life was to be made, what song would be on the trailer?
- Experimental photography magazine Bill plays with the notion of the image as a material object
- Thomas Demand in conversation with It’s Nice That
- For Alice Monvaillier, animation is a "pretty magical process"
- My Body Feels Amazing: Elevator Teeth uses words and images to conduct a dialogue with the self
- City Edition Studio creates projects with a soft, collaborative and kind tone of voice
- Jack Smyth talks us through what makes a successful book jacket design
- “The future of design is in the creation of tools”: Meet the Space Type Generator
- Master one style or stay versatile? Illustrators discuss the pros and cons
- WeTransfer tell users to "Please Leave" in new short film
- Youngchae Lee illustrates what “alone time” feels like in large landscapes
- Yushi Li on photographing men she met through Tinder
- When Hollie Fernando forgot her age, she decided to take her first self-portraits