Anyone who has seen Anna Prior play drums live knows how infectious her beaming smile is. Whether she is playing with Metronomy or more recently James Righton’s Shock Machine, she always seems to be having the best time, while simultaneously playing drums and singing impeccably.
A regular DJ, this week’s mixtape displays Anna’s music taste with a focus on the wealth of inspiring female artists that are dominating the music industry. Anna’s drumming skills will be gracing stages across the UK next week as Metronomy headline Glasgow ABC, Manchester Albert Hall and Brixton Academy. Over to the lady herself…
Why have you picked these songs, what do they remind you of or make you feel?
I’ve chosen to make my playlist a celebration of the female vocal, it’s never been a better time to be a woman and nothing makes me happier than a prodigious, emotion-fuelled female vocalist.
When or where should this mixtape be listened to?
3pm on a Wednesday.
What song or album did you listen to as teenager?
Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Soundgarden. All albums, all the time, really loud!
What’s the best song or album to wake up to in the morning?
Don’t Get Me Wrong by The Pretenders.
If a feature film of your life was to be made, what song would be on the trailer?
- Manshen Lo creates surreal, comic-inspired observational illustrations
- “To me, being a man just means being yourself”: five creatives share their thoughts on masculinity
- Hexatope: the web-app utilising computational arts to make personalised jewellery
- Lucy Hardcastle on her “most progressive film to date”
- Moby Digg creates grid-based identity for finance company Baugeld Spezialisten
- Typography and National Socialism – the journey of Futura in an era of "reactionary modernity"
- Peter Funch has photographed the same people on the same street for nine years
- DBLG and Animade’s cheeky stop-motion animation uses human skin and 3D stamps
- “It needed to be functional, a workhorse”: Arket’s in-house team on its brand identity
- Get to know the fluid work of graphic designer, Steffen Hotel
- Fukt magazine presents the erotic drawings of David Shrigley, Tracy Emin and many more
- Poster Girls, an exhibition of 150 female graphic designers opens at London Transport Museum