Anyone who has seen Anna Prior play drums live knows how infectious her beaming smile is. Whether she is playing with Metronomy or more recently James Righton’s Shock Machine, she always seems to be having the best time, while simultaneously playing drums and singing impeccably.
A regular DJ, this week’s mixtape displays Anna’s music taste with a focus on the wealth of inspiring female artists that are dominating the music industry. Anna’s drumming skills will be gracing stages across the UK next week as Metronomy headline Glasgow ABC, Manchester Albert Hall and Brixton Academy. Over to the lady herself…
Why have you picked these songs, what do they remind you of or make you feel?
I’ve chosen to make my playlist a celebration of the female vocal, it’s never been a better time to be a woman and nothing makes me happier than a prodigious, emotion-fuelled female vocalist.
When or where should this mixtape be listened to?
3pm on a Wednesday.
What song or album did you listen to as teenager?
Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Soundgarden. All albums, all the time, really loud!
What’s the best song or album to wake up to in the morning?
Don’t Get Me Wrong by The Pretenders.
If a feature film of your life was to be made, what song would be on the trailer?
- Artist Yuko Mohri creates improvised ecosystems through found objects
- The Red Road Project is a celebration of Native American cultures
- Myth-busting: Split's Oli Bentley on interrogating northern identity through typography
- Peer inside the creative minds behind KOMONO's Signature Collection
- Studio Makgill present ten objects that capture the beauty of simplicity
- Margot Bowman talks us through the creation of her short, Common Misconceptions
- An interview with Pentagram's latest partner, Astrid Stavro
- Student-friendly new typeface Sans Forgetica claims to boost memory
- Record Label Logo Archive Vol.1 is a music nerd's dream come true
- Rudeboy: The Story of Trojan Records documents the origins of Jamaican and British youth culture
- Vrints-Kolsteren is a graphic design studio that doesn’t adhere to the typical studio-customer relationship
- Swiss Passports will be issued live for 24 hours from 6pm tonight