This week’s Friday Mixtape is by Berlin-based Studio Yukiko. Regular It’s Nice That readers will know we’re big fans of Michelle and Johannes’ work, whether we’re writing about magazines they’ve designed, Nike campaigns they’ve had a hand in commissioning or of course the fact that they’re part of our Ones to Watch 2018.
We’ve had an inkling that music was a regular component of the Yukiko studio, from moving image work they’ve done previously or just in the vibrant joltiness of its graphic design stance. Turns out we were on the right track, both previously musicians the pair have an eclectic music taste portrayed in this uplifting mix.
Why have you picked these songs?
Because it’s the start of a new year, the songs in our playlist are quite uplifting and energetic, we hope it has the same effect on our listeners.
We dedicate the playlist to the one and only France Gall, who passed away earlier this year and start with her tribute to Ella Fitzgerald, Ella, elle l’a, because it’s so brilliant. A few other highlights include a true classic by Jona Lewie, You’ll always Find Me in the Kitchen at Parties which should be played at every party really; some Ghanese Pop from today (somehow the most recent track on our playlist?); a classic new wave tune from our birthplace Hamburg and true breeding place of amazing music; Palais Schaumburg, that featured the Einstürzende Neubauten drummer FM Einheit; and of course Gilberto Gil – who was our musical accompaniment in Sao Paulo with Flaneur Magazine last year, with his very happy track Palco.
When or where should this mixtape be listened to?
Everywhere and at anytime, including in kitchens at parties.
Are there certain albums you listen to during the different parts of your creative process?
It was really hard to restrict ourselves to ten songs actually. Music plays such a big part in our lives. We both play instruments, Johannes played in some bands in a previous life, Michelle is a trained classical pianist. Music is always on during design periods. Favourite albums include John Coltrane’s A Love Supreme, David Bowie’s Heroes and any albums really by Les Savvy Fav.
What records did you listen to when you were a teenager?
Really everything. Johannes had a thing for jazz and hiphop. Michelle was into a lot of teenager classics…Nirvana, At The Drive In, Elliott Smith etc…
If a feature film about Studio Yukiko was to be made, what song would be on the trailer and why?
MC5 – Kick out the Jams, says it all ready doesn’t it?
- Podcast company Gimlet’s new identity by GrandArmy is designed not to be too “slick”
- Utopia and dystopia collide in Bysanz Baisen Zhou’s other-worldly creations
- Who are the people with the power to design the system we live in? Digital artist Peter Burr investigates
- Design studio de_form on its exhibition identity for Erik Kessels’ latest show
- Traditional fashion photography, fine art and 3D renders combine in Olya Oleinic's portfolio
- Cabeza Patata on finding the right way to represent the diversity of the world around us
- Led By Donkeys is crowdfunding £50,000 for “honest” No Deal Brexit ad campaign
- Taschen’s recent release celebrates “the greatest cat photographer of the 20th Century”
- Introducing the It’s Nice That Graduates of 2019!
- Suzy Chan’s portfolio boasts original graphic design, animation, typography and so much more
- A logo costs $1200 in 2019, according to Folyo’s graphic design pricing list
- Juuso Westerlund’s tender photographs of his sons capture the essence of childhood