This week’s Friday Mixtape is by Berlin-based Studio Yukiko. Regular It’s Nice That readers will know we’re big fans of Michelle and Johannes’ work, whether we’re writing about magazines they’ve designed, Nike campaigns they’ve had a hand in commissioning or of course the fact that they’re part of our Ones to Watch 2018.
We’ve had an inkling that music was a regular component of the Yukiko studio, from moving image work they’ve done previously or just in the vibrant joltiness of its graphic design stance. Turns out we were on the right track, both previously musicians the pair have an eclectic music taste portrayed in this uplifting mix.
Why have you picked these songs?
Because it’s the start of a new year, the songs in our playlist are quite uplifting and energetic, we hope it has the same effect on our listeners.
We dedicate the playlist to the one and only France Gall, who passed away earlier this year and start with her tribute to Ella Fitzgerald, Ella, elle l’a, because it’s so brilliant. A few other highlights include a true classic by Jona Lewie, You’ll always Find Me in the Kitchen at Parties which should be played at every party really; some Ghanese Pop from today (somehow the most recent track on our playlist?); a classic new wave tune from our birthplace Hamburg and true breeding place of amazing music; Palais Schaumburg, that featured the Einstürzende Neubauten drummer FM Einheit; and of course Gilberto Gil – who was our musical accompaniment in Sao Paulo with Flaneur Magazine last year, with his very happy track Palco.
When or where should this mixtape be listened to?
Everywhere and at anytime, including in kitchens at parties.
Are there certain albums you listen to during the different parts of your creative process?
It was really hard to restrict ourselves to ten songs actually. Music plays such a big part in our lives. We both play instruments, Johannes played in some bands in a previous life, Michelle is a trained classical pianist. Music is always on during design periods. Favourite albums include John Coltrane’s A Love Supreme, David Bowie’s Heroes and any albums really by Les Savvy Fav.
What records did you listen to when you were a teenager?
Really everything. Johannes had a thing for jazz and hiphop. Michelle was into a lot of teenager classics…Nirvana, At The Drive In, Elliott Smith etc…
If a feature film about Studio Yukiko was to be made, what song would be on the trailer and why?
MC5 – Kick out the Jams, says it all ready doesn’t it?
- Experimental photography magazine Bill plays with the notion of the image as a material object
- Thomas Demand in conversation with It’s Nice That
- For Alice Monvaillier, animation is a "pretty magical process"
- My Body Feels Amazing: Elevator Teeth uses words and images to conduct a dialogue with the self
- City Edition Studio creates projects with a soft, collaborative and kind tone of voice
- Jack Smyth talks us through what makes a successful book jacket design
- “The future of design is in the creation of tools”: Meet the Space Type Generator
- Master one style or stay versatile? Illustrators discuss the pros and cons
- WeTransfer tell users to "Please Leave" in new short film
- Youngchae Lee illustrates what “alone time” feels like in large landscapes
- Yushi Li on photographing men she met through Tinder
- When Hollie Fernando forgot her age, she decided to take her first self-portraits