This week’s Friday Mixtape is by Berlin-based Studio Yukiko. Regular It’s Nice That readers will know we’re big fans of Michelle and Johannes’ work, whether we’re writing about magazines they’ve designed, Nike campaigns they’ve had a hand in commissioning or of course the fact that they’re part of our Ones to Watch 2018.
We’ve had an inkling that music was a regular component of the Yukiko studio, from moving image work they’ve done previously or just in the vibrant joltiness of its graphic design stance. Turns out we were on the right track, both previously musicians the pair have an eclectic music taste portrayed in this uplifting mix.
Why have you picked these songs?
Because it’s the start of a new year, the songs in our playlist are quite uplifting and energetic, we hope it has the same effect on our listeners.
We dedicate the playlist to the one and only France Gall, who passed away earlier this year and start with her tribute to Ella Fitzgerald, Ella, elle l’a, because it’s so brilliant. A few other highlights include a true classic by Jona Lewie, You’ll always Find Me in the Kitchen at Parties which should be played at every party really; some Ghanese Pop from today (somehow the most recent track on our playlist?); a classic new wave tune from our birthplace Hamburg and true breeding place of amazing music; Palais Schaumburg, that featured the Einstürzende Neubauten drummer FM Einheit; and of course Gilberto Gil – who was our musical accompaniment in Sao Paulo with Flaneur Magazine last year, with his very happy track Palco.
When or where should this mixtape be listened to?
Everywhere and at anytime, including in kitchens at parties.
Are there certain albums you listen to during the different parts of your creative process?
It was really hard to restrict ourselves to ten songs actually. Music plays such a big part in our lives. We both play instruments, Johannes played in some bands in a previous life, Michelle is a trained classical pianist. Music is always on during design periods. Favourite albums include John Coltrane’s A Love Supreme, David Bowie’s Heroes and any albums really by Les Savvy Fav.
What records did you listen to when you were a teenager?
Really everything. Johannes had a thing for jazz and hiphop. Michelle was into a lot of teenager classics…Nirvana, At The Drive In, Elliott Smith etc…
If a feature film about Studio Yukiko was to be made, what song would be on the trailer and why?
MC5 – Kick out the Jams, says it all ready doesn’t it?
- Photographer Ronan Mckenzie on the details that go into curating your own exhibition
- Illustrator José Ja Ja Ja is “fascinated with the possibilities of the medium”
- Berlin-based design studio Arc on contrasting typefaces and demanding fair pay
- Regular Practice's Bookshelf helps inform its microscopic attention to type and print
- Viviana Troya presents egg-based optical illusions in new work Hatchery
- Maximilian Virgili on photographing the romance and randomness of Mexico
- Mastercard reveals new nameless logo courtesy of Michael Bierut
- An egg beats Kylie Jenner to become the most liked Instagram photo... ever
- Sam Youkilis uses scale, form and colour to challenge the tropes of travel photography
- WeWork gets a new name, and a slightly new look too
- Hiroki Nishiyama draws on traditional graphic design techniques in his illustration practice
- Working Not Working reveals the top companies creatives want to work at