Next weekend (5 August 2017), Visions runs the fifth edition of its festival around venues in London Fields and other parts of Hackney, London.
With a history of eclectic line ups, the day festival not only showcases bands but has an infamous dog show, a tattoo exhibition, screen printing sessions and a punk rock edition of karaoke. On top of these staple events, the festival will also hold a crepe cook-off between musicians Frankie Cosmos and Kero Kero Bonito, films at the Institute of Light (including one by Joan Cornella), and a bunch of after parties to attend too.
To get your ready for the festival, the Visions team have compiled a mixtape of acts to get excited about.
Why have you picked these songs?
We are really excited to host such a great mix of artists, it’s what Visions is all about. We wanted our playlist to illustrate this.
When should this mixtape be listened to?
In the sun or in a sweaty basement with an ice cold beer.
Who are you looking forward to seeing this year?
Liars performing tracks from their upcoming album.
What song or album is consistently being played in office?
Frankie Cosmos – If I Had A Dog ,while taking pictures of Otto, the Bird On The Wire office dog.
If a film was to be made about Visions festival, what song would play on the trailer?
Spiderbait – Calypso.
- Intimate, safe and romantic: Ekaterina Popova paints the interiors of her friend’s bedrooms
- Alfie Dwyer on creating game-like worlds and moulding tangible films like “putty”
- Through playful forms, Bára Růžičková tackles the rigid structure of the design industry
- Meji Alabi on discovering his roots through film and music
- Stoic black cats and burning worlds: Quentin Dufour on his chaotic illustrations
- Jiří Makovec’s photographs meander between the personal and the universal
- Facebook rebrands to distinguish the company from the app
- Jack Kenyon photographs the wondrous spectacle of the Supreme Cat Show
- &Walsh designs Zooba's identity inspired by the busy streets of Cairo
- A book chronicling tiny, bizarre treasures curated by Wes Anderson and Juman Malouf
- Find hidden squares and experimental inktraps in Fatih Hardal's FH Giselle
- Pentagram’s Giorgia Lupi on her data-driven designs for & Other Stories