I think we can all agree that tables, over the decades, have served humankind’s needs pretty well. From eating to meeting, scheming to preening and working to flirting they’ve been one of our most enduring furniture-friends. But you know what the blighters have hardly ever done? Hosted waterscapes, that’s what, so enter iconic Italian designer Gaetano Pesce.
A new show opening today plays host to Gaetano’s Six Tables on Water, which recreate watery expanses from the ocean to a puddle, with a pond, lagoon, river and lake in between. They’re extraordinary pieces – part ultimate children’s toy, part design experiment (they’re made from rigid polyurethane foam, PVC and epoxy resin), part celebration of water and part exploration of the way we think about and react to the world’s resources.
Gaetano enjoys the element of unpredictability in his processes although some of his new works include removable riverbanks, cliffs and trees to give the curators a little more control. What’s certain is these curious works definitely deserve a second look.
Six Tables on Water runs at the David Gill gallery until December 22.
- Nicolas Garner explores the clash of digital and organic in his hyperreal imagery
- Dennis Church’s 12-year project sees him capture the visual noise of America’s streets
- Hudson Christie’s illustration trickery uses depth to create textured, flat pieces
- A rare interview with enigmatic and cherished photographer, Nguan
- Karen Asher photographs the people and happenings of Winnipeg, Canada
- Nieves founder Benjamin Sommerhalder shares his passion for books and zines
- Parker Day's lurid colours and grotesque characters elevate identity and fantasy (NSFW)
- Paper reveals Break the Internet take two, with Nicki Minaj shot by Ellen von Unwerth
- Bea de Giacomo photographs the wonders of pregnancy
- Matthieu Lavanchy recreates food emojis "irl" for The Gourmand's tenth issue
- Introducing Broccoli, the publication “normalising cannabis use, especially for women”
- One Step Ahead: we meet Paula Scher, the trailblazing Pentagram Partner