If you weren’t already aware, It’s Nice That has this week curated a selection of carefully-picked speakers as part of GF Smith’s paper-infused event Beauty in the Making. More a celebration than an exhibition, more a workshop than a gallery, it is a fine example of a lovely group of people who know an awful lot about one subject, passing it on to those who never knew there was so much to learn.
Set in the magnificently cavernous basement of Victoria House in Bloomsbury, GF Smith are showcasing their knowledge, history and sheer passion for the production of fine quality paper. As you set foot in the space you are immediately greeted by five enormous, metre-high stacks of vibrant, heavy stock paper, the top sheet laser-cut to reveal the schedule for the week’s events.
And what events! As well as the 30 talks curated by It’s Nice That, GF Smith have also laid on a journey through the history of paper and design, from the process of creating paper to letter pressing and envelope-making workshops around every corner. The outrageously friendly members of GF Smith are smiling at every exhibit and offering sincere, intriguing tours around the exhibition to anyone that looks remotely bewildered.
Britain’s economy doesn’t leave much room, or time, for celebration without some sort of financial catch, which is where the beauty really lies in the making of this show – it is an honest declaration of love for something that we have used every day since we can remember (and it’s free!).
If you have a chance this week, do come and see it – if not for the pleasure of learning about this wonderful substance then for the scandalously generous gift bag presented to each guest.
Beauty in the Making runs until tomorrow, Friday April 27, at the Victoria House basment, Southampton Row.
- James Bannister breaks down Las Vegas’ facade of success and glamour in What Makes Grass Grow In the Desert
- Daniel Fletcher uses a playful spirit to represent the excitements and anxieties of daily life
- Brian Finke captures the contrasts in pasta production in five different cities in Italy
- Carnovsky illustrates the human body under X-ray using RGB illustration technique
- Chris Ullens directs charming stop-motion music video for Rex Orange County
- Get to know the fluid work of graphic designer, Steffen Hotel
- Peter Funch has photographed the same people on the same street for nine years
- North reveals full Science Museum rebrand, and reacts to online criticism
- GraphicDesign& outline three projects that successfully support and impact mental wellbeing
- Dove apologises and removes advert showing a black woman becoming a white woman
- Apple announces launch of gender neutral emojis
- “It needed to be functional, a workhorse”: Arket’s in-house team on its brand identity