Earlier this year we found ourselves mesmerised by a series of floating dismembered boobs, gently bobbing about to the sound of rather NSFW Craigslist ads read aloud. This project – Love Letters from Craig – perhaps makes it crystal clear why its creators at Cartelle Interactive were approached by Adult Swim to create content for its new online platform Etctera. The agency’s cheeky, surreal concepts seem the perfect match for the channel; and the piece they worked on, Giraffaconda, took the form of a game based around a “floppy neck giraffe.”
“The game itself is inspired by the SHMUP subgenre, aka bullet hell games,” says Cartelle co-founder Johnny Slack. “Your character is a militant giraffe-snake battling rocket sloths, zombie spiders, robot toucans, space cats etc. As you progress, the bullet patterns become more hypnotic/complex and the characters and levels more bizarre. It’s all done in WebGL and plays without any plugins/app store etc – it’s all free in-browser gaming.”
We’re not entirely sure what a lot of this means, but even as a person whose knowledge of gaming extends solely to Just Dance on the Wii (exceptional at the Boney M Rasputin round, since you asked) this is certainly a hell of a lot of fun. Perfect for those last few hours of a Friday at work where you’re really just sitting at your desk trying to look busy.
- Books From the Future talk us through its workshop on disaster in contemporary culture
- Molly Bounds paints intimate moments of quiet contemplation
- Friday Mixtape: Grand Union Orchestra's founder curates us a mix on the theme of migration
- Flat-e tells us how it made a visual interpretation of Daniel Avery's record in its entirety
- Girma Berta authentically captures the people of Addis Ababa with an iPhone
- Remember the pre-stage nerves and backstage stress in Alexander Coggin's photos of children's theatre
- Introducing The Graduates class of 2018!
- America's getting a space force and wants Trump supporters to choose its logo
- Swiss design practice Dinamo develops new visual identity for Tumblr
- Meet Adelia Lim, a graphic designer not afraid to poke a little fun at the industry
- Adobe has added 665 new Monotype fonts to Creative Cloud
- "What is my opinion?": Graphic designer James Aspey's research-focused, typographic practice