Earlier this year we found ourselves mesmerised by a series of floating dismembered boobs, gently bobbing about to the sound of rather NSFW Craigslist ads read aloud. This project – Love Letters from Craig – perhaps makes it crystal clear why its creators at Cartelle Interactive were approached by Adult Swim to create content for its new online platform Etctera. The agency’s cheeky, surreal concepts seem the perfect match for the channel; and the piece they worked on, Giraffaconda, took the form of a game based around a “floppy neck giraffe.”
“The game itself is inspired by the SHMUP subgenre, aka bullet hell games,” says Cartelle co-founder Johnny Slack. “Your character is a militant giraffe-snake battling rocket sloths, zombie spiders, robot toucans, space cats etc. As you progress, the bullet patterns become more hypnotic/complex and the characters and levels more bizarre. It’s all done in WebGL and plays without any plugins/app store etc – it’s all free in-browser gaming.”
We’re not entirely sure what a lot of this means, but even as a person whose knowledge of gaming extends solely to Just Dance on the Wii (exceptional at the Boney M Rasputin round, since you asked) this is certainly a hell of a lot of fun. Perfect for those last few hours of a Friday at work where you’re really just sitting at your desk trying to look busy.
- Jack Latham uses photography to explore stories untold
- Designer Jay Vaz combines his love of music and analogue art in a colourful and textural portfolio
- Joey Yu and Wilson Oryema create a paperless zine for Earth Day
- Lukas Wassmann turns his lens on the well-groomed animals of the Swiss Alps
- Graphic designer Virgile Flores on custom typefaces and visualising statistics
- Sam Taylor's World Cup gifs portray “the agony and the ecstasy” of the game
- Craig Oldham dishes out brutally honest advice to new graphic designers
- Pentagram rebrands Battersea dogs and cats home to visualise "personality over sentiment"
- V&A announces shortlist for its Illustration Awards 2018
- ManvsMachine create its most ambitious campaign for Air Max Day yet
- Design to improve the general quality of life: exploring Paul Rand's IBM Graphic Standards Manual
- Ten examples of rare letterings, from 19th-century alphabets to preliminary drawings of Futura