Another day, another astounding student work in progress show identity. This time, it’s for Glasgow School of Art, created by Michael Bremner, Amy Hinchliffe, Sarah Bethan Jones, Stephanie Roden and Sam Rowe – final year students on the communication design course. The show is called Assembly, and in the spirit of the title and the nature of the show, the identity also takes the idea of process as inspiration. "This best represents the unique spirit of the course, which puts emphasis on process, concept, and the joy of making,” say the designers.
The identity uses colourful cut-outs across the posters and other event collateral, an idea cleverly translated into a brilliant custom Tumblr design that uses two large shapes to obscure the work shown. The designers say: “The unique shapes of each poster were made from offcuts, no two are the same, pushing the boundaries of the conventional poster. We created visuals which reflect the vibrancy and energy of the new (almost) graduates.
“Our three specialisms – Graphic Design, Illustration and Photography – operate under the umbrella term Communication Design, the abstract and ever-changing aesthetic of the posters mirrors this and the variety of work that the students produce.”
- Mikey Please takes us behind the scenes, and the backlash, of the Bake Off trailer
- From New York to Springfield, it's Best of the Web
- Taschen releases two volumes of National Geographic’s best photographs from the past 125 years
- Simon Landrein takes Dan Croll down the rabbit hole in his animated video for Tokyo
- Thomas Duffield on photographing his dad’s hidden heroin addiction
- Parker Day's lurid colours and grotesque characters elevate identity and fantasy (NSFW)
- Hate the iPhone X notch? There’s an app for that
- Lisa Simpson’s bookshelf: from the curator of Instagram’s Simpsons Library
- Biplab Hazra’s photo of elephants being attacked by mob wins Sanctuary prize
- Michael Bierut: 13 ways of looking at a typeface
- Uncle Ginger uses hypnotic shapes to animate the facts and feelings of bipolar disorder
- Michel Gondry’s John Lewis Christmas advert – Moz the Monster – is unveiled