When we first featured The Bear Cave on the site back in 2011 they were Mindy Ryu and Danny Miller, two designers working together to produce a strong, burgeoning portfolio of branding work for a small but select list of clients. Both Danny and Mindy were working full-time at different jobs and pursuing their studio work on the side. Since then they’ve disbanded, set up two separate studios, toned down their day jobs and taken on some much bigger clients, now counting Nike, Heineken and Warby Parker among their roster.
Danny’s gone off to run High Tide, a similarly small boutique agency that he shares with Ariel Stark-Benz, and Mindy’s gone solo, setting up Ryu Island, a creative studio directed entirely by her. One thing that hasn’t changed is their knack for producing excellent creative work that ticks all the right boxes. Equally comfortable art directing the interior of a boutique children’s hair salon as they are branding an international eyewear label with a sophisticated look and feel, High Tide and Ryu Island are ones to watch as they take their studios to new and exciting places.
- R Kikuo Johnson on the importance of narrative in his illustrations
- Miguel Pang’s hand-drawn approach adds texture and depth to his illustrations
- Córdova Canillas commission photographers to create a spot the difference illusion for Tunica
- Pictoplasma New York showed how character design can spread joy and important messages
- Lalita Lupina animates the inner turmoil and anxiety felt at an indoor swimming pool
- Meet illustrator Inji Seo's cast of curvy characters
- Parker Day's lurid colours and grotesque characters elevate identity and fantasy (NSFW)
- Paper reveals Break the Internet take two, with Nicki Minaj shot by Ellen von Unwerth
- Bea de Giacomo photographs the wonders of pregnancy
- Matthieu Lavanchy recreates food emojis "irl" for The Gourmand's tenth issue
- Introducing Broccoli, the publication “normalising cannabis use, especially for women”
- One Step Ahead: we meet Paula Scher, the trailblazing Pentagram Partner