While looking through the portfolio of illustrator and designer Joe Schlaud, one particular project stopped us in our tracks with its audacious absurdity. This cheeky little series of gifs illustrate the concept of combining “ancient Kama Sutra positions with mundane everyday activities,” says Joe. The illustrator’s sarcastic tone on the subject certainly had us chuckling.
When he’s not drawing couples up to no good (while simultaneously doing their houses chores) Joe works at Fuzzco, a creative agency in Charleston and Portland partnering clients with influential brand experiences. One project by Fuzzco is a Pretend Store, a real shop by collaborating “with people who inspire us to make things we love for the home, office and human”.
These risqué illustrations were completed as a series for the store, Joe explains: “I wanted the people within them to look as unsexual as possible. There was a lot of laughing creating these.” The subtle humour of Joe’s drawings and gifs is elevated by his illustrative style of drawing all the wobbly bits in a lighthearted pastel-coloured palette. When animated, the leisurely movements of the couples add another level of detail to his work.
A series of ten screenprinted cards of Joe’s illustrations are available online at Pretend Store.
- Photographer Svetlana Bulatova documents the environmental trauma of the Chechen wars
- From designer to full time artist, Caroline Walls on her gestural paintings
- Benjamin Muzzin on how digital art needs to be “shaken up badly”
- Choose Your Fighter: illustrator Kevin Sabo’s queering of hyper-masculine gaming culture
- Matthew Jones gives insight into Accept & Proceed's work for Nasa
- Illustrator Jordan Awan on fulfilling his childhood dream
- How Pelle Cass creates his jarring “still time-lapse” images
- Apple's new typeface is available for use right now
- Channelling personality into branding: Commission Studio on Fenty’s new visual identity
- Does the perfect portfolio exist? Top creatives and studios offer their advice
- Droga5 unveils undulating identity for London’s newest outdoor destination, The Tide
- Applications are now open for The Graduates 2019!