The artist known as José Ja Ja Ja not only creates damnedly detailed drawings and works as Professor of Illustration at the European Design School in Madrid; he also brews beer. Unfortunately, as I have yet to sample SALVAJE, I’ll have to laud the brilliance of his illustrations instead.
Last year, Fulgencio Pimentel published his first long comic Culto Charles, 64 colourless but certainly not characterless pages in which geometrics meet delicately striped leaves and twining branches. It tells the story of Culto Charles, “founded in the early 1960s by poet and activist A.S. Brandon” and “based on the belief that an occult dimension lays in the border between life and death.” José explores the mystic notion that "in the short lapse between a cardiac arrest and brain death there is a “black hole” through which one can slide to an unknown supernatural universe…", unleashing a surreal world teeming with red necks and Aztec gods, lucha libre wrestlers and cowboys.
What would you do in this liminal place between life and death? I think I’d join the guys chilling in the giant paddling pool and play with the rubber duck.
- Izabela Jurcewicz uses her camera to become both a surgeon and a patient
- XYZ Lab designs a removable and “grotesque” fifth issue for Rouge Fashion Book
- Relive the lazy, hazy, crazy days of summer through Summer of Something Special
- Intimate, safe and romantic: Ekaterina Popova paints the interiors of her friend’s bedrooms
- Alfie Dwyer on creating game-like worlds and moulding tangible films like “putty”
- Through playful forms, Bára Růžičková tackles the rigid structure of the design industry
- Facebook rebrands to distinguish the company from the app
- Jack Kenyon photographs the wondrous spectacle of the Supreme Cat Show
- &Walsh designs Zooba's identity inspired by the busy streets of Cairo
- A book chronicling tiny, bizarre treasures curated by Wes Anderson and Juman Malouf
- Find hidden squares and experimental inktraps in Fatih Hardal's FH Giselle
- Pentagram’s Giorgia Lupi on her data-driven designs for & Other Stories