Friend of the site and fab illustrator Emily Evans recently got in touch to tell us about how brilliant designer and illustrator Lewis Heriz is. And we gotta hand it to the girl, she’s right. Lewis makes colourful, inventive sleeves that pay homage to the music of yesteryear, and he’s worked with the likes of Stonesthrow, Soundway and Now Again. In the words of the other Emily, “His record cover output is crazy large and amazing!”
In his work as an illustrator, designer and art director, Lewis is credited by many as helping move imagery for “world music” away from tired old tosh and into something smart, beautiful and relevant. You can see it for yourself here digitally, but you can also have a chance to meet Lewis IRL if you happen to be in east London on 9 April. He’ll be chatting at the Cover Club event which invites the best contemporary music artwork designers to talk about their work, and all for free.
Art + Music
This month we will be looking at the infinite, somewhat holy connection between art and music in all its different genres. Spanning an enormous amount of ways music and art come together, this feature will take a closer look at stage design, record sleeves, music videos, zines, rock star painters, band merchandise, music at fashion shows and much, much more. Now put your hands together for Art + Music.
- Artist Olivié Keck explores South African youth culture through a vibrant VR video
- Crossing dimensions: digital artists Wang & Söderström turn Klas Ernflo's illustrations into a 3D still life
- Studio Creme's 3D scanned campaign film for Heresy is inspired by "mysticism and folklore"
- Designer Carolien Niebling wants you to meet the meat we eat
- Franziska Morlok and Miriam Waszelewski's Bookshelf explores the most interesting and unique bookbinding techniques
- Duncan Cowles' new film explores the panicky feeling that a creative idea might not be amazing enough
- Craig Oldham dishes out brutally honest advice to new graphic designers
- Pentagram rebrands Battersea dogs and cats home to visualise "personality over sentiment"
- V&A announces shortlist for its Illustration Awards 2018
- ManvsMachine create its most ambitious campaign for Air Max Day yet
- Design to improve the general quality of life: exploring Paul Rand's IBM Graphic Standards Manual
- Ten examples of rare letterings, from 19th-century alphabets to preliminary drawings of Futura