Mother Design’s New York office has created a boldly colourful and impactful identity for Callen-Lorde, a community centre for LGBTQ healthcare. Across its programmes, services and two locations in New York, it’s an organisation dedicated to providing healthcare to the city’s “lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender communities — in all their diversity — regardless of ability to pay”. An institution of such devotion and sensitive care deserves approachable, awe-inspiring graphic design, and Mother Design have done exactly that.
“In the summer of 2017, NYC based LGBTQ healthcare organisation, Callen-Lorde came to us looking to create a new brand identity that reestablishes the organisation as a leader in the space.,” Mother Design tells It’s Nice That. “With a new healthcare space centre projected to open in 2019, it seemed like the perfect time to modernise the brand as they enter this new and exciting chapter.” The strength the organisation is reflected in Mother Design’s identity for the brand, with stamp-like typography printed onto not just one, but a rainbow of colours in an apt nod to the pride flag. “ Our goal was to create something that embraced the decades-long history of the organisation, while also aiming to be fresh and dynamic within a space cluttered with lack lustre corporate branding”
Considering this as a starting point the agency “created a new identity that served as an homage to Callen-Lorde’s activist roots,” it explains. “The bold and empowering use of typography and colour creates a unique anti-corporate identity that sets it apart from any other operator in the healthcare space.” This statement rings true when looking through the details of Mother Design’s identity and how it has been applied. For instance, an elongated serif typeface always sits across any piece of branding, applied in a large font size with confidence. The identity is also cheerful, welcoming in its colour palette, slogans and photographs of people always smiling.
While there is no doubt that Callen-Lorde has an extremely difficult job, Mother Design has presented the organisation as suitably and rightly empowering creating a "new identity elements, we set a foundation that we can build on for many years to come.”
- Izabela Jurcewicz uses her camera to become both a surgeon and a patient
- XYZ Lab designs a removable and “grotesque” fifth issue for Rouge Fashion Book
- Relive the lazy, hazy, crazy days of summer through Summer of Something Special
- Intimate, safe and romantic: Ekaterina Popova paints the interiors of her friend’s bedrooms
- Alfie Dwyer on creating game-like worlds and moulding tangible films like “putty”
- Through playful forms, Bára Růžičková tackles the rigid structure of the design industry
- Facebook rebrands to distinguish the company from the app
- Jack Kenyon photographs the wondrous spectacle of the Supreme Cat Show
- &Walsh designs Zooba's identity inspired by the busy streets of Cairo
- A book chronicling tiny, bizarre treasures curated by Wes Anderson and Juman Malouf
- Find hidden squares and experimental inktraps in Fatih Hardal's FH Giselle
- Pentagram’s Giorgia Lupi on her data-driven designs for & Other Stories