When you’re the manufacturer of the world’s only torsional ultrasonic scalpel for use in keyhole surgery (it cuts by transferring high intensity ultrasonic vibration into the body’s soft tissue and speeds coagulation of the blood in case you were curious) you’d think the product would more or less sell itself. And who needs a brand and identity for a product you don’t even have to market?
Well in this modern age of competitive, commercial healthcare there’s room to brand everything. And where graphic design is concerned that’s probably not such a bad thing, particularly if the quality of work maintains a standard as high as Mytton Williams’ recent work for Lotus. Everything has been taken care of in a clear, coherent fashion, from the logotype that sits on the product itself, to complex usage guidelines for surgeons and a simple but distinct pattern of parallel lines throughout all collateral. Although this kind of clinical design can sometimes feel a little intimidating it fits perfectly when applied to a piece of medical equipment. After all, this kind of material needs to be taken very seriously indeed.
- R Kikuo Johnson on the importance of narrative in his illustrations
- Miguel Pang’s hand-drawn approach adds texture and depth to his illustrations
- Córdova Canillas commission photographers to create a spot the difference illusion for Tunica
- Pictoplasma New York showed how character design can spread joy and important messages
- Lalita Lupina animates the inner turmoil and anxiety felt at an indoor swimming pool
- Meet illustrator Inji Seo's cast of curvy characters
- Parker Day's lurid colours and grotesque characters elevate identity and fantasy (NSFW)
- Paper reveals Break the Internet take two, with Nicki Minaj shot by Ellen von Unwerth
- Bea de Giacomo photographs the wonders of pregnancy
- Matthieu Lavanchy recreates food emojis "irl" for The Gourmand's tenth issue
- Introducing Broccoli, the publication “normalising cannabis use, especially for women”
- One Step Ahead: we meet Paula Scher, the trailblazing Pentagram Partner