Inspiration can come from many sources – a curiously shaped cloud or a whimsical juxtaposition thrown up by urban life. But sometimes the whole process can be slightly more deliberate, which is where this great new book comes in. New Graphic Design: The 100 Best Contemporary Graphic Designers does exactly what it says on the cover and is a magnificent resource for anyone interested in visual communication. Where it excels is in its breadth; the authors Charlotte and Peter Fiell are determined to recognise the excellent work of very big name studios (like Sagmeister & Walsh, Build and Barnbrook) but they are equally keen to flag up the next generation of design stars like Josh King, Alberto Hernandez and Finnish studio Tsto.
As well as a host of interesting and engaging visuals spanning almost every conceivable form of graphic design practice, each entry is accompanied by a statement outlining their particular design philosophy. Add in an admirably international reach spanning Europe and North America as well as Iran, China and India among others and you’re left with something really top-notch.New Graphic Design: The 100 Best Contemporary Graphic Designers published by Goodman Fiell is out now.
- Meji Alabi on discovering his roots through film and music
- Stoic black cats and burning worlds: Quentin Dufour on his chaotic illustrations
- Jiří Makovec’s photographs meander between the personal and the universal
- In photographing the American west, Andong Zheng uncovers hidden traces of Chinese history
- Meet Universal Thirst, the Bangalore and Reykjavik-based foundry offering a dual perspective on type
- Manchester Girls, the new series from Dean Davies, is a visual homage to the women of the north
- Facebook rebrands to distinguish the company from the app
- Jack Kenyon photographs the wondrous spectacle of the Supreme Cat Show
- &Walsh designs Zooba's identity inspired by the busy streets of Cairo
- A book chronicling tiny, bizarre treasures curated by Wes Anderson and Juman Malouf
- Find hidden squares and experimental inktraps in Fatih Hardal's FH Giselle
- Pentagram’s Giorgia Lupi on her data-driven designs for & Other Stories