Journalist and filmmaker Roxy Rezvany began her Nicer Tuesdays talk last month by explaining her creative journey. Roxy grew up “loving art and stories and films but I never went to film school,” she says. Despite this, her career in the creative industry has developed through “jobbing” and the result is a personable approach to the work she makes, leading on to her most recent film Little Pyongyang.
The documentary, which has a heavy focus on design and aesthetics to channel a narrative, tells the story of the North Korean diaspora living in New Malden, London. Motivated by feeling a responsibility to be truthful to the people she’s working with via film, Roxy’s created an intimate documentary which portrays an honest and intimate portrait of North Koreans.
In her in-depth talk, Roxy took the audience through the many challenges she overcame in the making, and the exciting response and conversations the film has stirred.
- Unseen Amsterdam's artistic director on how its richest line-up yet inspires and informs
- Jackson Green’s design work explores the chasm that exists between statement and intent
- Why Materials Matter: Seetal Solanki's accessible proposal for the future of materials, designed by Our Place
- Friday Mixtape: Animator Steve Smith takes us from Kate Bush to Oneohtrix Point Never
- Tom Galle’s internet-based practice captures your attention in a few seconds, scrolling through your feed
- “Fear and desire for connection and the blocks to it”: artist Martine Syms on her exhibition Grand Calme
- “Go, go, go”: how DIA messed with design theory, only to improve it
- Watch the trailer for the Don't Hug Me I'm Scared, the television show
- Uber gets another new logo, gives you something to make small talk about this weekend
- Swedish design studio Amanda & Erik avoid the tropes of minimalist, Scandinavian design in their practice
- You know that great feeling of popping a spot? You'll get that from Sophie Koko Gate's new animation
- Studio Hyte's identity for iiii Magazine examines the characteristics of type, code and interaction on the web