If you’ve not seen Alex Norris’ hilariously relatable panel comics then where have you been? Readers of It’s Nice That will recognise the “badly drawn blob” character of his series Webcomic Name for his punchline “oh no”, and the inevitably disappointing situations it gets itself into. At Nicer Tuesdays, Alex took us back to the beginning of his comic work, and the ideas and inspirations that led him to where he is now.
“When I finished uni, I wanted to be a writer, so I decided to make web comics because not many people make them, but a lot of people read them,” he explained. At first, his comics were highly conceptual and meta, playing with the format of the panel comic, because, he jokes, “I cared a lot about being clever”.
As he simplified his ideas, he came up with Webcomic Name, a self-coined “bad webcomic – look how awful this drawing is – where the punchline is always the same”. Using a purposefully naive and joyfully colourful style, the comics simultaneously poke fun at familiar situations and, in themselves, parody relatable comics, about which Alex is happily self-deprecating to brilliant comedic effect.
- Izabela Jurcewicz uses her camera to become both a surgeon and a patient
- XYZ Lab designs a removable and “grotesque” fifth issue for Rouge Fashion Book
- Relive the lazy, hazy, crazy days of summer through Summer of Something Special
- Intimate, safe and romantic: Ekaterina Popova paints the interiors of her friend’s bedrooms
- Alfie Dwyer on creating game-like worlds and moulding tangible films like “putty”
- Through playful forms, Bára Růžičková tackles the rigid structure of the design industry
- Facebook rebrands to distinguish the company from the app
- Jack Kenyon photographs the wondrous spectacle of the Supreme Cat Show
- &Walsh designs Zooba's identity inspired by the busy streets of Cairo
- A book chronicling tiny, bizarre treasures curated by Wes Anderson and Juman Malouf
- Find hidden squares and experimental inktraps in Fatih Hardal's FH Giselle
- Pentagram’s Giorgia Lupi on her data-driven designs for & Other Stories