Back once again on the last Tuesday of September, it’s Nicer Tuesdays! This month’s edition sees a stellar line-up grace the stage at Oval Space as we’ll be hearing from renowned Scottish photographer Dougie Wallace, creative director and filmmaker Margot Bowman, independent creative agency Superimpose and illustrator Olimpia Zagnoli will be joining us from her home in Milan.
The brightly coloured creations that Italian illustrator Olimpia Zagnoli whizzes up have graced the pages of It’s Nice That countless times. With a talent for pairing colours and shapes that bounce off screens and magazines alike, Olimpia’s work is instantly noticeable and explains why clients and illustration lovers fall for her time and time again. Recently releasing a new series Cuore di Panna, Olimpia used her style to evoke childhood memories of late 1980s Italian culture and will be taking us through the lip-licking drawings included in the series.
Dougie Wallace is a name that will ring a bell with photography fanatics and eager people watchers. Internationally recognised for his ability to capture anyone – from the wealthy shoppers in Harrods to barking dogs – Dougie captures life as he sees it using his high-flash social documentarian eye. The photographer will be joining us to talk through how he’s developed this approach and the projects that have followed.
Tickets for this month’s event spanning animation, graphic design, photography and illustration are now available here.
Independent but global creative agency Superimpose, founded by Ollie Olanipekun and Toby Evans, has long been making waves across the graphic design scene by working on projects with “provocative storytelling, innovative media and original visual direction,” as they put it. At a point in the studio’s career where it’s just announced the opening of a Los Angeles studio, the pair’s Nicer Tuesdays talk is a chance to get to know a studio about to hit the big time.
Margot Bowman is a creative with a distinct approach including animation, film, creative direction and interactive artworks, splitting her time between New York and London. Margot will be taking us through her recent short with Boiler Room, Common Misconceptions, which animated aggressions in nightclub culture through a woman protagonist’s fictional night out.
- Photographer Svetlana Bulatova documents the environmental trauma of the Chechen wars
- From designer to full time artist, Caroline Walls on her gestural paintings
- Benjamin Muzzin on how digital art needs to be “shaken up badly”
- Choose Your Fighter: illustrator Kevin Sabo’s queering of hyper-masculine gaming culture
- Matthew Jones gives insight into Accept & Proceed's work for Nasa
- Illustrator Jordan Awan on fulfilling his childhood dream
- How Pelle Cass creates his jarring “still time-lapse” images
- Apple's new typeface is available for use right now
- Channelling personality into branding: Commission Studio on Fenty’s new visual identity
- Does the perfect portfolio exist? Top creatives and studios offer their advice
- Droga5 unveils undulating identity for London’s newest outdoor destination, The Tide
- Applications are now open for The Graduates 2019!