It is obvious by the amount of times we write about Patrick Kyle that we have a major crush on his illustration style. Over the past few years Patrick’s aesthetic has shifted slightly, reducing his full colour digital works to more pared-back illustrations. Yet, the illustrator’s fluid line work means you always recognise a drawing by him.
This is definitely the case for Night Door a new comic by Patrick released via illustration masters of publishing Kus!. A 24-page comic, from which he has kindly shared a sneak peak with us; “the artwork for Night Door came together rather quickly — but I wanted it to be a comic that the audience can spend time with,” he tells It’s Nice That. The simplistic illustrations, full of layers that depict an intriguing narrative from page to page, creates a comic to dive into.
“More often than not my comics are cryptic and dream-like,” continues Patrick. “I’ve intensified that in Night Door by subtracting any written narrative or dialogue. I want the audience to become more active in the reading experience by forcing them to decipher the information on each page.” The result is a publication that is open to interpretation, encouraging you to interpret the fate of his warped smiling wormy figures.
- Lee Kan Kyo’s practice involves taking a selfie a day and a loyalty card club
- Office supplies sweat, struggle and stress in Philotheus Nisch’s recent series for Die Epilog
- It’s been another busy year of cultural design projects for Badesaison
- Kengo Kuma tells us why we need “a new period of natural design”
- The essentials of handling your finances as a graduate, junior or freelance creative
- Painter Nick McPhail uses Renaissance techniques to make his architectural landscapes “glow”
- How Pelle Cass creates his jarring “still time-lapse” images
- Mozilla gives Firefox a new look that goes beyond the logo
- Job interviews: Pentagram, Wieden+Kennedy and Bureau Borsche on how to get them and what to say
- Apple's new typeface is available for use right now
- Say a sustainable hello to the world’s first fully compostable trainer
- Applications are now open for The Graduates 2019!