Contrary to what your mum might think, cannabis isn’t just the preserve of rappers, ska punk fans and Camden-bound French exchange students: it’s a booming market, and a legal one too, in places. Last year, Pentagram branded Snoop Dogg’s line of weed-based products, and now Brooklyn-based designer Phillip Fivel Nessen has got in on the sweet Mary Jane action, with his lovely and colourful packaging designs for Plus Gum. The chewy stuff is infused with cannabis, dubbed “high-end medical and legal recreational marijuana gum.”
Phillip explains: “As a bunch of former developers, they brought some mad science to bear on their product, creating an edible that won’t leave you debilitatingly toasted for 15 hours, melting into your futon, but could act as a replacement for a beer or two.
“I was approached to create an identity and package design that would express the brand’s healthy, sophisticated values.”
The structural packaging was designed alongside Dale Trigger, and the look and feel is one that’s fresh, fun and distinctly different to the leaves and murky tones we’d usually associate with all things ganja-based.
- Rosie Matheson’s series, Boys, explores the nuanced nature of modern masculinity
- Heavyweight Foundry on its pragmatic yet inventive approach to typography
- Illustrator Tim Lahan’s latest zine is an “ode to being self-destructive”
- Photographer Nick Ballon's series is a portrait of Bolivia’s second largest city and its people
- Photographer Olivier Degorce's new book lets you snoop in strangers' fridges
- Clean it, beach: Reto Schmid's new fashion series shines light on the plastic waste problem
- Custom Typefaces: are they worth the hype?
- Designer Marc Armand on graphically interpreting the French football team’s kit ahead of the World Cup
- Bonjour Garçon combines photography and graphic design to make "strong and delicate" work
- Iconic film poster designer and illustrator Bill Gold has died aged 97
- "Football's Bayeux Tapestry": behind the scenes of the embroidered BBC World Cup trailer animation
- Matt Groening reveals characters from new animated series Disenchantment (well, partially…)