Contrary to what your mum might think, cannabis isn’t just the preserve of rappers, ska punk fans and Camden-bound French exchange students: it’s a booming market, and a legal one too, in places. Last year, Pentagram branded Snoop Dogg’s line of weed-based products, and now Brooklyn-based designer Phillip Fivel Nessen has got in on the sweet Mary Jane action, with his lovely and colourful packaging designs for Plus Gum. The chewy stuff is infused with cannabis, dubbed “high-end medical and legal recreational marijuana gum.”
Phillip explains: “As a bunch of former developers, they brought some mad science to bear on their product, creating an edible that won’t leave you debilitatingly toasted for 15 hours, melting into your futon, but could act as a replacement for a beer or two.
“I was approached to create an identity and package design that would express the brand’s healthy, sophisticated values.”
The structural packaging was designed alongside Dale Trigger, and the look and feel is one that’s fresh, fun and distinctly different to the leaves and murky tones we’d usually associate with all things ganja-based.
- Photographer Eli Durst's series Pinnacle Realty challenges stereotypes of suburban America
- Grace Miceli’s bold and playful illustrations re-interpret brands in humorous ways
- Tsto returns to design Flow Festival's identity, pushing and playing with its typography
- Rosie Yasukochi's vibrant comic reflects on post-generational trauma
- Patrick Kyle's helpful advice on how to start out at illustration fairs
- "Don't drink and dance in front of your peers": ten creatives on their biggest mistakes
- Crayola launches a makeup range based on its ubiquitous crayons
- Portfolio tips from top studios: what to leave in (and out) and how to get noticed
- The Graduates 2018: Should I get a job or go freelance?
- All internships are not created equal: how to spot the best opportunities and have the courage to reject the duds
- Erik Spiekermann brings five unfinished fonts from Bauhaus design masters to life with Adobe
- Why counter-culture matters: Rough Trade launches publishing venture designed by Craig Oldham