Week one of pre-orders is over, but you’ve still got time to get your hands on a copy of the latest Printed Pages before it’s available anywhere else – and if you’re really speedy you’ll be able to get one of the last few Alan Fletcher screen prints too. So if you’ve been holding out for the right moment to get your order in, seize it, that moment is now! If you’ve been waiting to find out more about the features in this issue then read on and we’ll show you some of the gems in SS15.
Our feature on advertising royalty Dan Wieden sees us stalk him round a conference in Cape Town, watching him go about his daily business. When we finally get to sit down with him for a chat he waxes lyrical – and frankly foul-mouthedly – on his experience at the helm of one of advertising’s best-loved agencies.
We caught up with Gail Bichler, design director at The New York Times Magazine to find out about her time at art school, why her tutors never thought she’d make it, and how she landed her impressive job in the first place.
For this issue we were lucky enough to get exclusive access to the archives of British design legend Alan Fletcher. We sent photographer Benjamin Swanson to his family home to shoot a selection of his sketchbooks that show the workings of his mind in extraordinary detail.
On the occasion of her show at London’s ICA we met with photographer Viviane Sassen to discuss the Western world’s portrayal of Africa, racism in the fashion industry and how both issues affect her work.
And we sat down with Charles Burns to talk punk rock, performance art and why nobody wants to read comics about a mid-life crisis.
If you’re based in London or Leeds and want to check out the new issue in the flesh before it arrives in shops then come and join us at our launch events on Thursday April 23rd at KK Outlet and Village Bookstore. There’ll be beers for free, mags for sale and your last chance to grab a free Alan Fletcher print if you miss it online. Plus you’ll get to see our gorgeous faces.
- Jack Latham uses photography to explore stories untold
- Designer Jay Vaz combines his love of music and analogue art in a colourful and textural portfolio
- Joey Yu and Wilson Oryema create a paperless zine for Earth Day
- Lukas Wassmann turns his lens on the well-groomed animals of the Swiss Alps
- Graphic designer Virgile Flores on custom typefaces and visualising statistics
- Sam Taylor's World Cup gifs portray “the agony and the ecstasy” of the game
- Craig Oldham dishes out brutally honest advice to new graphic designers
- Pentagram rebrands Battersea dogs and cats home to visualise "personality over sentiment"
- V&A announces shortlist for its Illustration Awards 2018
- ManvsMachine create its most ambitious campaign for Air Max Day yet
- Design to improve the general quality of life: exploring Paul Rand's IBM Graphic Standards Manual
- Ten examples of rare letterings, from 19th-century alphabets to preliminary drawings of Futura