John Short’s cover shoot of an intriguing pair of reverse footprints sets the tone for the Winter issue of Printed Pages – riddled with intrigue and demanding closer inspection. Inside we discuss art, fame and Desert Island Discs with Jeremy Deller, explore Kenzo’s dynamic culture of creative collaboration and go treasure hunting with filmmaker Tomas Leach. Raymond Briggs reflects on growing old and what home means to him, Studio Swine discuss their innovative way of looking at the world and we pick out some of the highlights from counterculture bible The Whole Earth Catalog.
We celebrate graphic brilliance from ten years’ worth of Kemistry Gallery posters on the occasion of their final Charlotte Road show, chat to ill Studio about how a skate magazine grew into one of the most exciting creative practices around and dive into Cark Kleiner’s personal photo archive of over six years’ worth of analog photography.
Elsewhere there’s big hair, brutalist architecture and and a rifle through illustrator Molly Crabapple’s personal possessions; Kyle Platts putting down nice guys and a short story dealing with a carefully calculated plan of revenge. Still only £5 and still packed with our blood, sweat and tears (of JOY!), you can get yours from the Company Of Parrots shop this very instant. Go on, treat yourself!
- Manshen Lo creates surreal, comic-inspired observational illustrations
- “To me, being a man just means being yourself”: five creatives share their thoughts on masculinity
- Hexatope: the web-app utilising computational arts to make personalised jewellery
- Lucy Hardcastle on her “most progressive film to date”
- Moby Digg creates grid-based identity for finance company Baugeld Spezialisten
- Typography and National Socialism – the journey of Futura in an era of "reactionary modernity"
- Peter Funch has photographed the same people on the same street for nine years
- DBLG and Animade’s cheeky stop-motion animation uses human skin and 3D stamps
- “It needed to be functional, a workhorse”: Arket’s in-house team on its brand identity
- Get to know the fluid work of graphic designer, Steffen Hotel
- Fukt magazine presents the erotic drawings of David Shrigley, Tracy Emin and many more
- Poster Girls, an exhibition of 150 female graphic designers opens at London Transport Museum