The test of a great project isn’t always whether or not it’s realised. We’ve seen this countless times, from the cheeky MTV illustrations that were deemed too naughty to an innovative paper-based typeface that never saw the light of day. This identity for the RCA’s 2016 graduate exhibition by Summer Studio is similarly great, yet unfortunately similarly shelved.
“We’ve developed an approach which is based on type with character and narrative,” explains Summer Studio. “We feel like there are qualities in illustration – such as narrative and character – that are often overlooked in graphic design.
“Graphic design is supposed to celebrate neutrality, sometimes forgetting that defining neutrality is a narrative too. We combine individuality with consistent and clear communication, believing that this allows for the audience to be inspired and informed simultaneously.”
Summer Studio is formed of RCA graduates Minna Sakaria and Carolina Dahl, who have now left London to set up two outposts in Gothenburg and Stockholm. Previous projects include last year’s RCA Work in Progress exhibition identity.
- We take a look back at the best stories of the year to date
- Atelier Brenda and Amélie Bakker create “squidgy” identity for Beursschouwburg
- Thomas Pratt photographs the effects of religion, natural disaster and globalisation on an island community
- Viacheslav Poliakov shoots the “folk-baroque-industrial mess” of Ukraine and Poland
- “Even bad pizza is kind of good”: Five life lessons from David Droga
- Join Cachetejack and Dropbox for a collaborative workshop at OFFF Barcelona
- Netflix moots move into print with new publication, Wide
- “Allowing a modern audience to see Helvetica for the first time”: Charles Nix talks us through the newly released Helvetica Now
- Dating app Hinge gets a makeover, asks users to use it less
- The most relaxing colour in the world? Dark blue apparently
- By You: Nike's customisable range gets a new name, and a new look
- Rejane Dal Bello on using graphic design to talk about hard topics in a joyful way