Hand-painted book covers give that rare pleasure that comes when two seemingly unrelated genres collide, and this only gets greater when several very different creative minds come together to create them too. Such is the case where Rebekah Miles’ collaboration with fashion house Rodarte is involved.
The founders of the house, Kate and Laura Mulleavy, called on Rebekah, a ceramicist and painter, to create a series of 27 hand-painted covers for the book they created with fine art photographers Catherine Opie and Alec Soth back in 2011. The new resulting covers are lovely; gone is the large, overbearing type which might have dominated the cover, and in its place careful brushstrokes form the book’s title. The paintings themselves are similarly ethereal, rendered in pale washes and watercolour lifework, they bear the mark of an artist more used to painting onto pottery than onto a canvas. And we like it a lot.
- Unseen Amsterdam's artistic director on how its richest line-up yet inspires and informs
- Jackson Green’s design work explores the chasm that exists between statement and intent
- Why Materials Matter: Seetal Solanki's accessible proposal for the future of materials, designed by Our Place
- Friday Mixtape: Animator Steve Smith takes us from Kate Bush to Oneohtrix Point Never
- Tom Galle’s internet-based practice captures your attention in a few seconds, scrolling through your feed
- “Fear and desire for connection and the blocks to it”: artist Martine Syms on her exhibition Grand Calme
- “Go, go, go”: how DIA messed with design theory, only to improve it
- Watch the trailer for the Don't Hug Me I'm Scared, the television show
- Uber gets another new logo, gives you something to make small talk about this weekend
- Swedish design studio Amanda & Erik avoid the tropes of minimalist, Scandinavian design in their practice
- You know that great feeling of popping a spot? You'll get that from Sophie Koko Gate's new animation
- Studio Hyte's identity for iiii Magazine examines the characteristics of type, code and interaction on the web