Sophie Koko Gate is an animator with immense illustrative skill. Since graduating from the Royal College of Art she has created a wealth of animations, from depicting educational content to excellently timed music videos of hilarity.
In putting this article together it was difficult not to display every one of Sophie’s animations, but one of her music videos Big Weather Part II is captivating in its simplicity. On a dark background the animator’s colour choices grab you instantly, characterful animated mouths drawing your attention to the lyrics of the song. In many music videos it is difficult to balance a celebration of the song alongside an artistic interpretation, but Sophie’s attention to detail results in a winning combo.
In Half Wet Sophie’s eye for context is again evident, elevating details of the text to create landscapes of warped imaginations that somehow make perfect sense. This particular imagining demonstrates Sophie’s illustrative skill, with wobbled characteristics of facial expressions running throughout her videos. The video was Sophie’s final piece at the RCA, based on the concept that, “we are all born as wet as a banana, around 75% water. By the time we reach adulthood that amount goes down to 54% water”.
We urge you to watch the rest of Sophie’s animations, long or short they are guaranteed to captivate your attention and put a smile on your face.
- Rosie Matheson’s series, Boys, explores the nuanced nature of modern masculinity
- Heavyweight Foundry on its pragmatic yet inventive approach to typography
- Illustrator Tim Lahan’s latest zine is an “ode to being self-destructive”
- Photographer Nick Ballon's series is a portrait of Bolivia’s second largest city and its people
- Photographer Olivier Degorce's new book lets you snoop in strangers' fridges
- Clean it, beach: Reto Schmid's new fashion series shines light on the plastic waste problem
- Custom Typefaces: are they worth the hype?
- Designer Marc Armand on graphically interpreting the French football team’s kit ahead of the World Cup
- Bonjour Garçon combines photography and graphic design to make "strong and delicate" work
- Iconic film poster designer and illustrator Bill Gold has died aged 97
- "Football's Bayeux Tapestry": behind the scenes of the embroidered BBC World Cup trailer animation
- Matt Groening reveals characters from new animated series Disenchantment (well, partially…)