Sophie Koko Gate is an animator with immense illustrative skill. Since graduating from the Royal College of Art she has created a wealth of animations, from depicting educational content to excellently timed music videos of hilarity.
In putting this article together it was difficult not to display every one of Sophie’s animations, but one of her music videos Big Weather Part II is captivating in its simplicity. On a dark background the animator’s colour choices grab you instantly, characterful animated mouths drawing your attention to the lyrics of the song. In many music videos it is difficult to balance a celebration of the song alongside an artistic interpretation, but Sophie’s attention to detail results in a winning combo.
In Half Wet Sophie’s eye for context is again evident, elevating details of the text to create landscapes of warped imaginations that somehow make perfect sense. This particular imagining demonstrates Sophie’s illustrative skill, with wobbled characteristics of facial expressions running throughout her videos. The video was Sophie’s final piece at the RCA, based on the concept that, “we are all born as wet as a banana, around 75% water. By the time we reach adulthood that amount goes down to 54% water”.
We urge you to watch the rest of Sophie’s animations, long or short they are guaranteed to captivate your attention and put a smile on your face.
- Palestine Underground shines a light on the West Bank’s underground music scene
- “How does an identity express itself in 3D?”: Common Name on design for environments
- Courtney Barnett discusses her love for illustrators, animators and her own creativity too
- Studio Dumbar on how it encourages its team to find their voices as designers
- Sophie Green's latest project ventures into Kent's unlikely cowboy country
- Chow and Lin documents the world’s inequality of wealth using Google Earth
- This is an article about Wieden+Kennedy’s clever ad campaign - No B.S
- The Saul Bass Archive looks back on the trailblazer’s rare poster design
- XXL Studio is an iconic Chinese graphic design studio producing exceptional book design
- Superimpose creates "hyper-local" campaign for Adidas Original and TFL collaboration
- Iceland’s Christmas advert banned from broadcast for being too political
- Studio Weave redesigns the colour scheme and signage of housing associations in Hackney