Sophie Koko Gate is an animator with immense illustrative skill. Since graduating from the Royal College of Art she has created a wealth of animations, from depicting educational content to excellently timed music videos of hilarity.
In putting this article together it was difficult not to display every one of Sophie’s animations, but one of her music videos Big Weather Part II is captivating in its simplicity. On a dark background the animator’s colour choices grab you instantly, characterful animated mouths drawing your attention to the lyrics of the song. In many music videos it is difficult to balance a celebration of the song alongside an artistic interpretation, but Sophie’s attention to detail results in a winning combo.
In Half Wet Sophie’s eye for context is again evident, elevating details of the text to create landscapes of warped imaginations that somehow make perfect sense. This particular imagining demonstrates Sophie’s illustrative skill, with wobbled characteristics of facial expressions running throughout her videos. The video was Sophie’s final piece at the RCA, based on the concept that, “we are all born as wet as a banana, around 75% water. By the time we reach adulthood that amount goes down to 54% water”.
We urge you to watch the rest of Sophie’s animations, long or short they are guaranteed to captivate your attention and put a smile on your face.
- This year’s Birmingham Design Festival explored truth in the design industry
- Designer John Christian Rose on how he turns mess, chaos and clutter into art
- “My creative process is hella eclectic”: illustrator Jack Fletcher
- Jee-ook Choi turns Uniqlo’s AIRism range into a series of ethereal illustrations
- “Nothing should stand still”: Elaine Song on her dynamic, abstract illustrations
- Meet Ian Weldon, the “photographer that photographs weddings”
- How Pelle Cass creates his jarring “still time-lapse” images
- Mozilla gives Firefox a new look that goes beyond the logo
- Spotify wants you to listen to more podcasts, so it's redesigned its app
- Say a sustainable hello to the world’s first fully compostable trainer
- Illustrator Faye Moorhouse has made a trilogy of zines about her cat
- Applications are now open for The Graduates 2019!