Sophie Koko Gate is an animator with immense illustrative skill. Since graduating from the Royal College of Art she has created a wealth of animations, from depicting educational content to excellently timed music videos of hilarity.
In putting this article together it was difficult not to display every one of Sophie’s animations, but one of her music videos Big Weather Part II is captivating in its simplicity. On a dark background the animator’s colour choices grab you instantly, characterful animated mouths drawing your attention to the lyrics of the song. In many music videos it is difficult to balance a celebration of the song alongside an artistic interpretation, but Sophie’s attention to detail results in a winning combo.
In Half Wet Sophie’s eye for context is again evident, elevating details of the text to create landscapes of warped imaginations that somehow make perfect sense. This particular imagining demonstrates Sophie’s illustrative skill, with wobbled characteristics of facial expressions running throughout her videos. The video was Sophie’s final piece at the RCA, based on the concept that, “we are all born as wet as a banana, around 75% water. By the time we reach adulthood that amount goes down to 54% water”.
We urge you to watch the rest of Sophie’s animations, long or short they are guaranteed to captivate your attention and put a smile on your face.
- Graphic designer Si Weon Kim's side projects explore her culture, creating historical homages
- Will Anderson’s Bafta-nominated animation Have Heart follows a gif stuck in an infinite loop
- Looking east: how Smörgåsbord designed a soju brand to work in Europe and Asia alike
- The lonely claustrophobia of Adam Reynolds’ nuclear missile site series
- TwoPoints.Net design a typeface for ESPN The Magazine's Winter Olympics 2018 issue
- A chat with the Orwellian mastermind in charge of the UK town known as Scarfolk
- Lacoste swaps famous crocodile logo for ten endangered species
- Director of Taylor Swift's Delicate video accused of copying Spike Jonze’s Kenzo advert
- Rihanna's new advert shows that her make-up line is for all genders
- Dive into Mikey Joyce's portfolio with its “healthy balance of calculated and convoluted silliness"
- Jim Carrey is now a political cartoonist and he's taking down the Trump presidency
- These Swedish kids designed a typeface to celebrate their neighbourhood