I once knew a guy who fell in love with a woman who lived in Rotterdam over the internet and when he went to visit her he was as impressed with the Dutch city as he was with his new squeeze. Last I heard he was planning to move there and if he has and in doing so has discovered an interest in graphic design he’ll find Rotterdam is a city that is punching above its weight in the design stakes.
Studio Spass, is a young design studio comprising Jaron Korvinus & Daan Mens quietly carving out an impressive portfolio.
They’re talented, versatile and have just launched a fantastic new website showcasing their work. The quality’s good throughout but especially eye-catching is their contribution to their hometown’s De Wereld van Witte de With arts festival. To chime in with last year’s grass-roots theme they produced 230 unique posters and an eye-catching visual identity. Definitely one to watch.
- R Kikuo Johnson on the importance of narrative in his illustrations
- Miguel Pang’s hand-drawn approach adds texture and depth to his illustrations
- Córdova Canillas commission photographers to create a spot the difference illusion for Tunica
- Pictoplasma New York showed how character design can spread joy and important messages
- Lalita Lupina animates the inner turmoil and anxiety felt at an indoor swimming pool
- Meet illustrator Inji Seo's cast of curvy characters
- Parker Day's lurid colours and grotesque characters elevate identity and fantasy (NSFW)
- Paper reveals Break the Internet take two, with Nicki Minaj shot by Ellen von Unwerth
- Bea de Giacomo photographs the wonders of pregnancy
- Matthieu Lavanchy recreates food emojis "irl" for The Gourmand's tenth issue
- Introducing Broccoli, the publication “normalising cannabis use, especially for women”
- One Step Ahead: we meet Paula Scher, the trailblazing Pentagram Partner