There once was a post called Weekender, its line between wisdom and nonsense was slender, yet it wasn’t a freak, foretold the end of the week and it appealed to readers of either gender. That’s a limerick (kind of) because I am feeling particularly playful this fine Friday (frisky if you will). I may have a spritzer or three tonight, so before I go completely off the rails you had better read on…
Best of the site
This week we used the phrase “stuffed meaty bottles” more than was strictly necessary as we discussed Per Johansen’s amazing photo series, we cursed the existence of the Channel without which we could stroll over to see the brilliant Superscript at work and we rejoiced that Mark Mulroney exists and does work like this.
Best of best of the web
And it kept on coming courtesy of The Guardian’s superlative rundown of the best manic laughs from the movies, Creative Review’s thought-provoking piece on whether designers should pitch and Tony Sleep’s excellent response to photographers being expected to work for free.
Best of the rest
Elsewhere, step aside all other pretenders, the best resource you could ever need came our way courtesy of this archive of interviews with 100 top graphic designers, we were drawn in and kind of creeped out by these pictures of Michael Jackson tribute acts and we too were becalmed by pictures of record sleeves arranged by colour.
Tweet of the week
“When Googling Gary Oldman, never, EVER forget to type the R.”
I know it’s childish but @lukeromyn just got us
Bloggers of the week
For some people the very word blog conjures up awful images of some over-opinionted, under-washed fool prattling away in the darkened bedroom at his parents’ house. Thankfully the more enlightened among us know this is nonsense but how do we prove our point? Maybe this series of updates from Everest might help?
Arf arf of the week
The big meeting is in less than 20 minutes and you’re expert notes consist solely of bad sketches of Sophie/Steve from IT (I’m giving you options as a reader here rather than casting aspersions on Sophie/Steve). Your palms are sweating and the boss is expectant. Worry not! Just use this handy pitch generator. NB It’s Nice That and its affiliates accepts no responsibility if you get fired. Still funny though.
Copy writes itself moment of the week
Want to see a woman fall through a pavement in China? Course you do…
Funny kids videos of the week
So turns out the children really are our future and that being so, we have some good news and bad news. Expect Radiohead’s popularity to plummet if this video is anything to go by…
But don’t worry about replacing David Attenborough! These guys and girls have got it covered…
Observational comedy of the week
Ladies and gentleman, may I present, 125 reasons why men are scared of Pinterest….
Catch you on the flip side!
- Kyle Platts illustrates the five top tips he’s picked up in 2017
- La La Land or Moonlight: a recap of February 2017
- 2017: the year that protest became a trend?
- Trump’s inauguration and a design census: a look back at January 2017
- Time for type: Camelot on designing a typeface fit for a watch
- Gal-dem takes us through its first print issue, written and created by women of colour
- Pantone Colour of the Year 2018 has been announced
- Pentagram partner Natasha Jen shares her most inspirational books
- Why dyslexia makes you a great designer
- Plain packaging and health warnings on food and drink could cost companies hundreds of billions
- Anxy Magazine: The Workaholism Issue explores the impact of working hard versus working compulsively
- Graphic designer John Morgan launches type foundry and art platform, Abyme