This week Things celebrates street press comics makers, procrastinates with some excellent illustration, enjoys a squat book of briefs, cops a load of British style and looks at wishful wheat-pasting around the streets of Edinburgh.
Limner Journal: #2
Despite being stuffed full of excellent illustration, Limner journal wants to be seen as more than just a showcase. Good then that it’s also got some interesting words in it exploring contemporary practice – and procrastination.
Tilt Studio: Wish I Was In
This “wheat-paste adventure” around night-time streets by Edinbrugh-based student studio Tilt is pretty charming. A nicely shot, nicely put together little book. Wish I was in Stars Wars, too.
Off Life: Issue #3
Off Life bills itself as the UK’s only street press comic magazine. They may say these are comics for a lost generation, but they’ve found a strong generation of talented cartoonists right here. There’s a huge variety of quality comics and an interview with Bryan Talbot. Here’s to many issues more.
Hat-trick: In brief.
Design consultants Hat-trick have produced this little black book to show off ten years of completed briefs. Small but perfectly formed, it fits in your palm and falls open to reveal a rainbow of work for over 150 clients. In defiance of industry jargon, they’ve let pictures do the talking, with only a couple of words to introduce each project.
Josh Sims: 50 Years of British Style Culture
Designed by Bianca Wendt and written by Josh Sims, this Ben Sherman book celebrates 50 years of British cultural style through the fashion, music and politics of these big ones: Mods, Rockers, Teddy boys, Northern Soul, Punk, Skinheads, Two Tone and, of course, Casual.
- Superimpose Studio on the impact of Brexit on the creative industries
- Photographer Namsa Leuba makes the invisible stories of Voodoo visible
- A whizz through the portfolio of Italian illustrator Marco Oggian
- Alex Vasilyev's compelling photographs of locals living in Russia's coldest region
- Friday Mixtape: Rae Morris curates a winter-focused mix
- Good Sport Magazine: sport-focussed content, through the lens of much broader reaching interests
- Lacoste swaps famous crocodile logo for ten endangered species
- Director of Taylor Swift's Delicate video accused of copying Spike Jonze’s Kenzo advert
- These Swedish kids designed a typeface to celebrate their neighbourhood
- A new Vitra Museum exhibition shows the hedonistic history of nightclub design
- A chat with the anonymous archivist behind vintage smut celebration Hardcore Decor
- A peek inside the bulging, bold portfolio of multidisciplinary studio Spassky Fisher