Good week for the It’s Nice That post mat – Things got stuck into the beautiful game, made a glorious music cover, nabbed a superhero couple with flying colours, admired what the Latvians are building and looked at pop stars staring into sunsets. Let’s see how this played out…
Nicky Inchenko: 90
Nicky Inchenko made this fantastic little green football booklet. Crammed with line drawings of players in action and doubling as a very nice poster when unfolded, it’s a delightful memento of some classic footballing moments. This is only the highlights version – the original is 90 pages long! Nicky has also made life-size painted Chicago Bulls that are worth a look.
DR.ME: Dutch Uncle’s Out Of Touch In The Wild
DR.ME’s artwork for the Dutch Uncle’s latest record makes a great track into a beautiful object. Looks excellent and feels so good to hold.
Happy Lovers Town: Super Heroes
These are great. Colourful, simple, healthily plump superheroes from Happy Lovers Town. Fun to work out the angle of those red feet.
Lukabuka: Process 3. Jaunā arhitektūra Latvijā
Jaunā arhitektūra Latvijā is the third book in the Process series looking at New Architecture in Latvia. Edited by Ieva Zībārte and designed very nicely by Edgars Zvirgzdiņš it’s full of beautiful photographs documenting current architectural practice and education in the country. Fascinating stuff.
Tom Oldham: Portraits
This is a collection of Tom Oldham’s snaps of pop stars looking cool. Music photography is always interesting, whatever you think of the set-ups. With the right light and barely a blemish in sight, it’s interesting to pick apart the layers of presentation in these shots.
- Mikey Please takes us behind the scenes, and the backlash, of the Bake Off trailer
- From New York to Springfield, it's Best of the Web
- Taschen releases two volumes of National Geographic’s best photographs from the past 125 years
- Simon Landrein takes Dan Croll down the rabbit hole in his animated video for Tokyo
- Thomas Duffield on photographing his dad’s hidden heroin addiction
- Parker Day's lurid colours and grotesque characters elevate identity and fantasy (NSFW)
- Hate the iPhone X notch? There’s an app for that
- Lisa Simpson’s bookshelf: from the curator of Instagram’s Simpsons Library
- Biplab Hazra’s photo of elephants being attacked by mob wins Sanctuary prize
- Michael Bierut: 13 ways of looking at a typeface
- Uncle Ginger uses hypnotic shapes to animate the facts and feelings of bipolar disorder
- Michel Gondry’s John Lewis Christmas advert – Moz the Monster – is unveiled