This week Things brings: a wonderful fanzine about professional wrestling, an impressive newspaper from students in Sweden, a zine full of great photographs to keep you young, a book full of great photographs to make you look again and a showcase of brilliant illustrators to look out for.
The Shooting Star Press: The Canada Issue
A shooting star press is an aerial technique used in professional wrestling. The Shooting Star Press is an illustrated fanzine dedicated to the world of professional wrestling. Published by Thomas J. Hughes with words and drawings by him and others, this second issue focuses on Canada. Oozing love and expertise, it looks fantastic, too.
Konstfack School: F. A. Q.
This week the Second Year Bachelors of Graphic Design and Illustration at Konstfack in Sweden visited It’s Nice That and gave us this excellent newspaper. In large format, with good paper, scrumptious deep blue, lovely illustrations and interesting words half of which I can’t understand, it looks like those students are training at the right place.
Stay Young: Issue Two
Stay Young is a nicely printed photography zine full of great images. Carefully designed and curated by Paul John Nelson its got a fine, diverse collection of really striking photographs and – crucially – space in all the right places.
Just Us Collective: Almanac
Just Us Collective was set up in 2011 to nurture and promote the work of creatives at undergraduate level. Almanac is their publication showcasing the work of the current crop. If this is what the future of illustration looks like it is going to be so, so strong.
Tim Morris: ‘one hundred and eighty’
British photographer Tim Morris’ heavy little black book of 180 of his favourite shots travel all over the world to capture still moments from coffee rings to wild expanses. Rich colours and an eye for the overlooked detail.
- Superimpose Studio on the impact of Brexit on the creative industries
- Photographer Namsa Leuba makes the invisible stories of Voodoo visible
- A whizz through the portfolio of Italian illustrator Marco Oggian
- Alex Vasilyev's compelling photographs of locals living in Russia's coldest region
- Friday Mixtape: Rae Morris curates a winter-focused mix
- Good Sport Magazine: sport-focussed content, through the lens of much broader reaching interests
- Lacoste swaps famous crocodile logo for ten endangered species
- Director of Taylor Swift's Delicate video accused of copying Spike Jonze’s Kenzo advert
- These Swedish kids designed a typeface to celebrate their neighbourhood
- A new Vitra Museum exhibition shows the hedonistic history of nightclub design
- A chat with the anonymous archivist behind vintage smut celebration Hardcore Decor
- A peek inside the bulging, bold portfolio of multidisciplinary studio Spassky Fisher