Illustrator and designer Thomas Colligan has created Small Notes, a zine that contains a “selection of moments and items that we too often forget”. The zine is made up of a collection of beautifully drawn, colourful line drawings that depict simple activities like reading while lying down, having drinks with friends or just hanging out with loved ones in silence.
The mundane actions are captured in bright, vibrant hues with a focus on pattern and flat landscapes, which allows Thomas to experiment with how the shape of his characters and their surroundings fit together, rather than the nitty gritty details. To offset the primary-coloured artwork, Thomas has included blue, monotone drawings in the same style that change the pace of the zine.
The Switzerland-born, New York-based illustrator and designer was last featured on It’s Nice That in 2014 and 2015, and while this series of drawings still has the same colourful sensibility as back then, his style has become more pared back and refined, showing a maturity in his work.
The zine has been printed in a four-colour Risograph and published by Txt Books, who also published Anibal Bley’s zine Paso, which was recently on t’s Nice That. Thomas is a “co-co-co-founder” of the independent publishing project and the collective is just gearing up to show its publications at LA Art Book Fair, which kicks off 24 February 2017.
- LuckyMe’s Lunice film for Apple Music is a theatrical trip through 90s hip hop videos
- Printed Pages AW17 is now available for pre-order – with exclusive prints, a party and more!
- Tatiana Ermolaeva's coherent “but not too slick” work for the Strelka Bar
- BBC’s David Bailey’s must watch talk for font fanatics from Nicer Tuesdays
- Shin Morae translates her memories into pastel illustrations
- Sarah Meyohas combines virtual reality, 10,000 roses and artificial intelligence in Cloud of Petals
- Peter Funch has photographed the same people on the same street for nine years
- DBLG and Animade’s cheeky stop-motion animation uses human skin and 3D stamps
- “It needed to be functional, a workhorse”: Arket’s in-house team on its brand identity
- Get to know the fluid work of graphic designer, Steffen Hotel
- Fukt magazine presents the erotic drawings of David Shrigley, Tracy Emin and many more
- Poster Girls, an exhibition of 150 female graphic designers opens at London Transport Museum