The consistent output of publications from Landfill Editions is remarkably brilliant in content and aesthetic. Unsurprisingly, they’ve done it again with a debut short-form comic by the equally astounding Dutch illustrator, Viktor Hachmang.
Book of Void is a publication that champions Viktor’s illustrational capabilities. It’s bound to have any comic book lover or graphic design fiend salivating. In terms of content the comic “deals with the romantic notion of destroying precious artwork and aims to explore its inherent logic” says Landfill. A fictionalised account of “two subsequent slashings of monumental minimal artworks at the Stedelijk Museum” inspired by The Book of Five Rings by Minamoto Musashi.
Book of Void additionally showcases an alternate style of illustration for Viktor, known for his full colour drawings. By stripping back his colour palette to a simplistic black, red and grey combination the publication leaves no room to hide. Most would struggle with this transparency, but it is a stylistic decision that allows Viktor to shine.
- Manshen Lo creates surreal, comic-inspired observational illustrations
- “To me, being a man just means being yourself”: five creatives share their thoughts on masculinity
- Hexatope: the web-app utilising computational arts to make personalised jewellery
- Lucy Hardcastle on her “most progressive film to date”
- Moby Digg creates grid-based identity for finance company Baugeld Spezialisten
- Typography and National Socialism – the journey of Futura in an era of "reactionary modernity"
- Peter Funch has photographed the same people on the same street for nine years
- DBLG and Animade’s cheeky stop-motion animation uses human skin and 3D stamps
- “It needed to be functional, a workhorse”: Arket’s in-house team on its brand identity
- Get to know the fluid work of graphic designer, Steffen Hotel
- Fukt magazine presents the erotic drawings of David Shrigley, Tracy Emin and many more
- Poster Girls, an exhibition of 150 female graphic designers opens at London Transport Museum