The world of typography is a complex and enigmatic one, and one that sometimes feels a little impenetrable. So in Wieden + Kennedy Amsterdam’s work for travel site Booking.com it thought to itself, “why not align it a little more with Mother Earth?” So that’s what they did, forming an identity based around a typeface that “celebrates the Earth’s angle tilt of 23.5.” The typeface, which was created with type foundry Colophon, is “a subtle nod to travel and Booking.com’s huge worldly reach, and variety of accommodations," according to W+K Amsterdam design director Joe Burrin. The typeface is used across all promotional materials, and was designed to work alongside the company’s logo with its rounded forms to create “a functional but welcoming sensibility,” says the agency.
Its first appearances is in Booking.com’s 2015 summer campaign Wing It, which features photography was by Neil Stewart. "We have initially produced one weight (bold) to be used within the recent summer campaign ‘Wing it’, we see this leading to the development of further weights for wider, more flexible usage,” adds Joe.
- We take a look back at the best stories of the year to date
- Atelier Brenda and Amélie Bakker create “squidgy” identity for Beursschouwburg
- Thomas Pratt photographs the effects of religion, natural disaster and globalisation on an island community
- Viacheslav Poliakov shoots the “folk-baroque-industrial mess” of Ukraine and Poland
- “Even bad pizza is kind of good”: Five life lessons from David Droga
- Join Cachetejack and Dropbox for a collaborative workshop at OFFF Barcelona
- Netflix moots move into print with new publication, Wide
- “Allowing a modern audience to see Helvetica for the first time”: Charles Nix talks us through the newly released Helvetica Now
- Dating app Hinge gets a makeover, asks users to use it less
- The most relaxing colour in the world? Dark blue apparently
- By You: Nike's customisable range gets a new name, and a new look
- Rejane Dal Bello on using graphic design to talk about hard topics in a joyful way