A new book collating 350 retro posters, pressbooks and stills from the “golden age” of porn cinema is being published by Reel Art Press. X-Rated Adult Movie Posters of the 60s and 70s by Tony Nourmand and Graham Marsh celebrates the unashamedly crude, cut-and-pasted collage artwork made to promote these B-movies and their provocative titles such as Flesh Gordon and Come One Come All.
The book includes text by author and journalist Peter Doggett, who comments: “For connoisseurs of the film poster, porn cinema offers an alternative history of the 1960s and 1970s. Few people ever turned to exploitation movies in search of subtlety: the task of the X-rated graphic artist was to arouse urgent desires that could only be satisfied by a seat in the stalls. Their designs required no decoding.”
The images range from the crass – see the cartoonish illustration for Back Seat Cabbie filled with black-and-white collaged stills from the films’ lewd scenes – to psychedlic (Smoke and Flesh) and attempted sophistication – see the moody shot of a woman holding a banana for Appetites. It also includes artwork from “soft-core masterpiece” Emmanuelle (1974) made by an “original Mad Man” and respected designer Steve Frankfurt, though this high-calibre work was rare, says Peter.
“Variations on the same glamour-mag approach – women, breasts, buttocks – were routine, with pictures and typography that often looked as if it had been thrown at the poster rather than artfully arranged.”
X-Rated Adult Movie Posters of the 60s and 70s is an expanded and re-curated edition of Nourmand and Marsh’s decade-old book, and is released is September 2017, available to pre-order now.
- LuckyMe’s Lunice film for Apple Music is a theatrical trip through 90s hip hop videos
- Printed Pages AW17 is now available for pre-order – with exclusive prints, a party and more!
- Tatiana Ermolaeva's coherent “but not too slick” work for the Strelka Bar
- BBC’s David Bailey’s must watch talk for font fanatics from Nicer Tuesdays
- Shin Morae translates her memories into pastel illustrations
- Sarah Meyohas combines virtual reality, 10,000 roses and artificial intelligence in Cloud of Petals
- Peter Funch has photographed the same people on the same street for nine years
- DBLG and Animade’s cheeky stop-motion animation uses human skin and 3D stamps
- “It needed to be functional, a workhorse”: Arket’s in-house team on its brand identity
- Get to know the fluid work of graphic designer, Steffen Hotel
- Fukt magazine presents the erotic drawings of David Shrigley, Tracy Emin and many more
- Poster Girls, an exhibition of 150 female graphic designers opens at London Transport Museum