Art Chantry, Emmett McBain, Rebeca Méndez, Mark Randall, Nancy Skolos, Tom Wedell and Lance Wyman will be awarded the AIGA medal this year. The medals, presented by the AIGA since 1920, are given to individuals who “have set standards of excellence over a lifetime of work or have made individual contributions to innovation within the practice of design.”
The awards will be presented in New York on the 21 April. Each of this year’s winners is celebrated in an essay on the AIGA website, each presented with a citation.
Lance Wyman is recognised for “his mastery of visual ecosystems and for setting the standard for the universal, public design experience,” while Art Chantry was selected for “his intrepid exploration of subculture visual communication and his fearless celebration of cultural diversity”.
Rebeca Méndez is recognised for “challenging and transforming academia and design with her innovative interplay of identity and culture” and Emmett McBain for his “evolutionary design leadership and profound social impact in cofounding Burrell-McBain Advertising”.
The 2017 awards committee was chaired by Bonnie Siegler and also includes Andrew Blauvelt, director at Cranbrook Art Museum; Antionette Carroll, CEO and president of the Creative Reaction Lab; Brian Collins, CCO and co-founder of Collins; Denise Gonzales Crisp, professor at North Carolina State University College of Design; and Terry Irwin, head of the Carnegie Mellon University School of Design.
This year’s winners join an illustrious list of designers who have already been awarded the medal including Bruce Mau, Paula Scher, George Nelson, Herb Lubalin, Saul Bass and Josef Albers.
- Illustrator Ben Kopp’s nostalgia-drenched personal work
- Iggy Ldn's poignant new film Silk reclaims the essence of the jazz era in the 21st century
- Ways of Seeing: Laurie Rowan fills FACT's architectural space with a troop of exploring characters
- Brian Blomerth illustrates a journey to "surf discovery" even though he's terrible at surfing
- Photographer Sam Gregg shoots the true face of Naples
- Prolific artist Miroco Machiko’s animal menagerie
- Netflix unveils Netflix Sans, a new custom typeface developed with Dalton Maag
- Lacoste swaps famous crocodile logo for ten endangered species
- A chat with the Orwellian mastermind in charge of the UK town known as Scarfolk
- Director of Taylor Swift's Delicate video accused of copying Spike Jonze’s Kenzo advert
- Dive into Mikey Joyce's portfolio with its “healthy balance of calculated and convoluted silliness"
- Original sets and puppets from Wes Anderson’s Isle of Dogs to be exhibited in London