Ally Capellino is back with yet another excellent campaign for SS18, once again forming the dream team of the brand, creative director David Lane and photographer Agnes Lloyd Platt.
Each campaign by the British designers continuously includes an element of personality, often “placing the bags in a practical environment,” explains David. Where previous campaigns have been shot in a school or a restaurant kitchen, the designer’s latest collection heads outdoors. “Ally’s love of gardening and plants is given reign with this campaign shot at the lovely Great Dixter House in East Sussex,” says David. “A 15th century house that was extended by Edwin Luytens 100 years ago, it is surrounded by gardens developed by Christopher Lloyd…There is an independence and eccentricity to the place which makes it a perfect backdrop for these images by Agnes Lloyd Platt.”
Agnes’ photography often incorporates pastel coloured backdrops contrastingly paired with the styling of the shoot. As this particular campaign features outdoor shots, styled by Mushpit’s Charlotte Roberts, Agnes’ photographic style is applied in an alternate way. In pairing shots of Ally Capellino’s products amongst the foliage with studio shots featuring arranged plants, the indoor shots delicately incorporate the colour palette from the outdoor shoot.
“The restricted range of colours, lilac and gooseberry for example, have a luminous crepuscular quality inspired by the whimsy of a production of a Midsummer Night’s Dream,” explains David on the creative direction for the shoot. “The coloured backdrops continue the suspended reality theme. A set of floral studies accompanies the portraits inspired by their compositions and colours — perhaps the results of the gardener’s labours.”
- Books From the Future talk us through its workshop on disaster in contemporary culture
- Molly Bounds paints intimate moments of quiet contemplation
- Friday Mixtape: Grand Union Orchestra's founder curates us a mix on the theme of migration
- Flat-e tells us how it made a visual interpretation of Daniel Avery's record in its entirety
- Girma Berta authentically captures the people of Addis Ababa with an iPhone
- Remember the pre-stage nerves and backstage stress in Alexander Coggin's photos of children's theatre
- Introducing The Graduates class of 2018!
- America's getting a space force and wants Trump supporters to choose its logo
- Swiss design practice Dinamo develops new visual identity for Tumblr
- Meet Adelia Lim, a graphic designer not afraid to poke a little fun at the industry
- Adobe has added 665 new Monotype fonts to Creative Cloud
- "What is my opinion?": Graphic designer James Aspey's research-focused, typographic practice