Animation director Anna Ginsburg is set to premier a new film, Ugly as part of Refugee Week (17-23 June) at an event centring around the theme of the integration of refugees within the creative industry.
Anna’s latest film, made in collaboration with the artist Melissa Kitty Jarram, is an animated narration of a Ugly, a poem written by Warsan Shire. Warsan, who was born in Kenya to Somali parents before moving to Britain at the age of one, often writes poetry surrounding this experience. Her voice on the subject is prominent with in her poem, Conversations about Home (at a deportation centre) as well as Ugly. Warsan is also well known for her work on Beyoncé’s Lemonade, as well being the recipient of the prestigious Brunel University African Poetry Prize.
Anna and Melissa’s film premier organised by Strange Beast – taking place at The Trampery in Old Street, London – will also sit alongside further films inspired by refugee stories. These include Loup Blaster’s Al Hurriya, Dear Habib by Majid Adin and Then I Came By Boat by Marleena Forward.
Following the screening will be a panel discussion featuring artist and animation director Majid Adin, photographer Arteh Odjidja and Tom Green, a founding staff member of Counterpoints Arts a charity with a mission “to support and produce the arts by and about migrants and refugees”.
Tickets for the event, taking place on 19 June, are available here and all proceeds will be donated to Counterpoints Arts to further its work as a leading national organisation in the field of arts, migration and cultural change.
- Office supplies plan, sweat, struggle and stress in Philotheus Nisch's recent series for Die Epilog
- It’s been another busy year of cultural design projects for Badesaison
- Kengo Kuma tells us why we need “a new period of natural design”
- The essentials of handling your finances as a graduate, junior or freelance creative
- Painter Nick McPhail uses Renaissance techniques to make his architectural landscapes “glow”
- Photographer George Muncey on making the most of what's available
- How Pelle Cass creates his jarring “still time-lapse” images
- Mozilla gives Firefox a new look that goes beyond the logo
- Job interviews: Pentagram, Wieden+Kennedy and Bureau Borsche on how to get them and what to say
- Apple's new typeface is available for use right now
- Say a sustainable hello to the world’s first fully compostable trainer
- Applications are now open for The Graduates 2019!