Annie Leibovitz has photographed a pregnant Serena Williams for the cover of Vanity Fair, showing the tennis player almost naked, wearing just a nude thong and a body chain. Shot in profile in a confidently casual pose against a grey studio backdrop, the shoot styled by the magazine’s fashion and style director Jessica Diehl accompanies an interview with Serena in the August issue, written by Buzz Bissinger.
In a behind the scenes article on Vanity Fair’s website, Annie Leibovitz comments on the “minimalistic shoot” that: “I’ve been photographing Serena since she was 16 years old. It was wonderful to do these pictures at this stage of her life.”
The rest of the photo series inside the magazine shows more solo portraits of Serena and other shots with her fiancé, Reddit co-founder Alexis Ohanian. The shoot was produced by Vanity Fair senior photography producer Kathryn MacLeod in Florida.
Jessica Diehl also commented on the approach to the shoot: “The thing we all agreed on is the fact that power, motherhood, and athleticism are not mutually exclusive.”
- Mikey Please takes us behind the scenes, and the backlash, of the Bake Off trailer
- From New York to Springfield, it's Best of the Web
- Taschen releases two volumes of National Geographic’s best photographs from the past 125 years
- Simon Landrein takes Dan Croll down the rabbit hole in his animated video for Tokyo
- Thomas Duffield on photographing his dad’s hidden heroin addiction
- Parker Day's lurid colours and grotesque characters elevate identity and fantasy (NSFW)
- Hate the iPhone X notch? There’s an app for that
- Lisa Simpson’s bookshelf: from the curator of Instagram’s Simpsons Library
- Biplab Hazra’s photo of elephants being attacked by mob wins Sanctuary prize
- Michael Bierut: 13 ways of looking at a typeface
- Uncle Ginger uses hypnotic shapes to animate the facts and feelings of bipolar disorder
- Michel Gondry’s John Lewis Christmas advert – Moz the Monster – is unveiled