If you headed down to the skatepark recently, you may have in for a big a surprise. One of the scene’s most respected figures, Tony Hawk, has collaborated with one of the best-regarded photographers around, Anton Corbjin.
Anton – the Dutch snapper famous for his portraits of everyone from Siouxsie and the Banshees to Stephen Hawking – was recruited by the star of the best skateboarding video games ever to help promote Tony’s new clothing range showcased in Paris this past weekend.
The pair evidently settled on showing a rarely seen, side to the skate star. Anton’s resulting images are as striking as you’d expect from the veteran photographer, taking intimate portraits of Tony alongside a group of skateboarders presenting “a rare glimpse of Tony as a multi-faceted self-made man and mentor.”
- Meet illustrator Hollie Fuller's characters, with their piggy eyes and protruding ears
- Ellen Evans' latest film zooms into the tiny world of miniaturism
- Kent Andreasen on how he embraces the transience of light in his photographs
- Illustrator Baptiste Virot describes his work as an “iron punch in a velvet glove”
- Slovenian design studio Ljudje on how it turned the information crisis into a visual identity
- Tomek Popakul's short film Acid Rain shows the perils of falling in love with a wrong'un
- Want a dream job? Studio Ghibli is hiring
- Pornhub decides to try out beesexuality with new awareness campaign
- The Washington Post's climate change issue features 24 equally important covers
- “Even bad pizza is kind of good”: Five life lessons from David Droga
- “The time just feels right”: Stuart Brumfitt and Mirko Borsche, editor and designer of The Face, on its relaunch
- We take a look back at the best stories of the year to date