If you headed down to the skatepark recently, you may have in for a big a surprise. One of the scene’s most respected figures, Tony Hawk, has collaborated with one of the best-regarded photographers around, Anton Corbjin.
Anton – the Dutch snapper famous for his portraits of everyone from Siouxsie and the Banshees to Stephen Hawking – was recruited by the star of the best skateboarding video games ever to help promote Tony’s new clothing range showcased in Paris this past weekend.
The pair evidently settled on showing a rarely seen, side to the skate star. Anton’s resulting images are as striking as you’d expect from the veteran photographer, taking intimate portraits of Tony alongside a group of skateboarders presenting “a rare glimpse of Tony as a multi-faceted self-made man and mentor.”
- Photographer Anne-Sophie Guillet’s stunning portraits challenge gender binaries
- For Jan Horcik, type design and graphic design cannot work without one another
- “Like a little factory making picture books”: The wondrous work of Marie Neurath
- What’s the purpose of prison? This series captures a horse rehabilitation programme in Arizona
- Tina Schwizgebel-Wang’s etchings are filled with detailed scenes of everyday life
- “I want to show that the world is actually very simple”: meet artist Hisami Tanaka
- New study claims to pinpoint the most creative time of day, down to the minute
- Singapore-based studio Swell explores the idea of the banished book
- "My little niece and my grandmother like the game equally": how Playables made the simply addictive Kids
- In being "open to possibilities" still life painter Duane Keiser paints the everyday joys of life
- What the cluck? KFC releases limited-edition bucket hat
- For Bizzarri-Rodriguez, book design “is everything except a science”